Light on bathroom recep circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys just heard I had a minor correction on a cover inspection. I'm pretty sure I am correct but too impatient to wait till I get home to look it up. Bathroom with 20 amp recep, also feeds vanity light, but nothing else. Rest of bathroom lighting is on a general 15 amp ckt. Ok? I don't recall that if I feed bath lights off the recep ckt that it has to then do ALL the lights.

kwired

Electron manager
Guys just heard I had a minor correction on a cover inspection. I'm pretty sure I am correct but too impatient to wait till I get home to look it up. Bathroom with 20 amp recep, also feeds vanity light, but nothing else. Rest of bathroom lighting is on a general 15 amp ckt. Ok? I don't recall that if I feed bath lights off the recep ckt that it has to then do ALL the lights.
Can serve other loads in the same bathroom on the required 20 amp receptacle circuit, if no other rooms are supplied from that circuit.

If other rooms (bathrooms) are supplied only receptacle outlets can be supplied by the same 20 amp circuit.

TheGingerElectrician

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor, TN
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Artice 210.11 (C) (3) Bathroom Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20 ampre branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathrom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

Exception: Where the 20 ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2).

Yes you can feed other equipment in the bathroom with the bathroom circuit as long as that circuit doesn't feed other bathroom receptacles as well.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That is because no such wording exists. Here is how I usually describe this rule: You have two choices,
1. Supply receptacles in one or more bathrooms, but supply nothing other than bathroom receptacles.
2. Supply anything, and up to everything, in one bathroom, but supply nothing outside that bathroom.

To that I will add that nothing prohibits a second circuit from supplying other lights in the same bathroom.

kwired

Electron manager
Right, but i don't see any wording that if I evoke the exception, it must do ALL the other stuff in that bathroom.
You are correct. Sort of common to see exhaust fan that requires GFCI protection if over tub/shower to get connected to load side of GFCI receptacle, and maybe main bath lighting is on some other circuit. That receptacle circuit can only supply that individual bathroom however if you do this.

kwired

Electron manager
That is because no such wording exists. Here is how I usually describe this rule: You have two choices,
1. Supply receptacles in one or more bathrooms, but supply nothing other than bathroom receptacles.
2. Supply anything, and up to everything, in one bathroom, but supply nothing outside that bathroom.

To that I will add that nothing prohibits a second circuit from supplying other lights in the same bathroom.

Everything except fastened in place loads that exceed 10 amps - those will require separate circuit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.