LIGHT POLE BOXES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Will you usually always have a box in the ground under a lightpole or could the conduits just elbow up and you splice in the pole handhole? THanks.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Will you usually always have a box in the ground under a lightpole or could the conduits just elbow up and you splice in the pole handhole? THanks.

Turn the pipes up into the light poles. Splice them there. Why add something that isn't necessary but will become an aggravating maintenance item?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Turn the pipes up into the light poles. Splice them there. Why add something that isn't necessary but will become an aggravating maintenance item?

I ask because all the light pole I've seen(which is not many) have always had a handhole/box under them in the ground. Thanks

maghazadeh

I try to avoid using underground boxes for light poles unless conduit run needs to go several different directions at a cross point. Going in and out of pole and splice in the pole is norm.
I have seen design drawing where calls for a box next to each pole. In this case they would call for a ground rod in the box.
I remember sometimes ago there was advertizing for a box embeded in the concrete pole base above ground which is flush with the outside of the conc. pole, but I never used them.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I try to avoid using underground boxes for light poles unless conduit run needs to go several different directions at a cross point. Going in and out of pole and splice in the pole is norm.
I have seen design drawing where calls for a box next to each pole. In this case they would call for a ground rod in the box.
I remember sometimes ago there was advertizing for a box embeded in the concrete pole base above ground which is flush with the outside of the conc. pole, but I never used them.

Thanks... The ground rod does what or grounding??? No ground wire needed

maghazadeh

Thanks... The ground rod does what or grounding??? No ground wire needed

The ground rod or grounding electrode in this case is dissipating the lightening charges imposed on the metal pole only, and dose not replaces the ground wire (EGC = equipment grouding conductor). You still need to run EGC with the circuit wiring HOT + NEUTRAL.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The ground rod or grounding electrode in this case is dissipating the lightening charges imposed on the metal pole only, and dose not replaces the ground wire (EGC = equipment grouding conductor). You still need to run EGC with the circuit wiring HOT + NEUTRAL.

We were talking about that on another thread.......can't the RGS be used as a ground if you somehow bond the pipe to the pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.