Light Reels in an auto shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically we install recepticals in the ceiling right by the hose reels in an automobile service shop. The equipment company installs a light reel and plugs into our receptical. A city inspector came by and said to look up portable lighting section in the codebook regarding this install, he quoted that the light cannot have a switch on it or an arc source because the are is listed as Class 1 Div 2. It really doesnt effect me since I only provide the recept but the builder is having me look into this. We have done many many installs like this and this has never came up, maybe because the equipment guys put in their light reels after inspections. Can anyone tell me what code he is refrencing or if anyone had dealt with this. Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
georgeswe said:
Typically we install recepticals in the ceiling right by the hose reels in an automobile service shop. The equipment company installs a light reel and plugs into our receptical. A city inspector came by and said to look up portable lighting section in the codebook regarding this install, he quoted that the light cannot have a switch on it or an arc source because the are is listed as Class 1 Div 2. It really doesnt effect me since I only provide the recept but the builder is having me look into this. We have done many many installs like this and this has never came up, maybe because the equipment guys put in their light reels after inspections. Can anyone tell me what code he is refrencing or if anyone had dealt with this. Thanks

I think he is correct if the area is classifed C1D2. I would look at article 511 and see if it really needs to be classified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.