Lightening hit house

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvis_931

This is strange. I went to the house and I checked the light and switch that were bad from the lightening first. The cover on the switch had a chunk blown out of it. I read the voltage on the hot leg: 18.5vac to ground with switch in the off position. I turned the switch on and read 8vac to ground. So I figure I have an issue with the wire that I need to track down. I go to the light fixture and check the voltage at the socket:120vac with the switch on. I put a new bulb in the fixture cause the existing one is blown. The switch still reads 18vac/8vac but the light is working on 120vac. The switch cuts the light off and on like it is supposed to!:confused: :confused:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
mdshunk said:
With that said, I suppose there's 3 approaches to remediating lightning damage.
  • repair/replace whatever is visually damaged only
  • megger all the circuits and make the repairs
  • rewire the whole place

There is a fourth alternative, which I would guess is the most common approach. Do nothing unless something has completely failed.

brian john

There is a fourth alternative, which I would guess is the most common approach. Do nothing unless something has completely failed.

Bob We have people that take that approach, but in my expierence, either the electrical inspector, fire marshall or insurance company push for one of the 3 Marc noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.