Lighting a big horse stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Yep -> 10A x 120V = 1200 Watts

So with this dimmer he would only be able to put a max of 12. Probably two circuits and 2 dimmers for 15 fixtures.
I would probably just put in 12 fixtures

From what I've seen, 25 lumens per square foot is a really common suggestion for small arenas

3,000 x 25 = 75,000 lumens

Many, if not most, LED High Bays are running about 120 - 135 lumens per watt

So a 100 watt high they should have about 12,000 lumens output each

12 x 12,000 = 144,000

That's about double what's typically recommended

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
nit
the egg or young form of a louse or other parasitic insect, especially the egg of a head louse attached to a human hair.
\/
\/
"Lumens: The total output of visible light from a light source is measured in lumens. Typically, the more lumens a light fixture provides, the brighter it is. One lux is equal to one lumen per square meter (lux = lumens/m2)."

At least one lamp maker provided me this lux info.

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
So one of my customers aquired a horse stable with a riding ring.

Roughly 3000sq ft 14' cellings

I'm thinking of using about 12-15 high bays leds . The customer wants to be able to find these lights does anyone have any experience doing this if so any recommendations would be great . Thanks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I worked on several horse farms in my late teens and into my twenties. They were breeding and show horse farms.
Some things to consider are, there will be a lot of dust from wood shavings, straw and hay, and whatever type of footing is chosen. Even if there is a roof but open walled, lots of dust, and even worse if enclosed by walls.

One of the farms I worked at, the manager had a fire hose and would connect to the system in the barn and spray the arena to keep dust down.
He also took it to one of the barns after it was emptied for the season and hosed the entire inside of the barn, including the underside of the roof.
I would consider that this could happen at your location, maybe not with a fire hose, but maybe a garden hose or pressure washer.

From personal experience, horses don’t like shadowed areas much, especially on the ground. They will try to go around it. Maybe they think it is a hole to fall in or something. As with most animals it is “ flight or fight” instincts, and will run over you to get away from something that “spooked” them.
I would want an evenly lit area, not excessively bright, with least shadowing.
I have seen horses get spooked from their own farts, you just never know.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I like the old school bond look LED fixtures have a link by chance?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
The jelly jar style is available at many sites including Home Depot and Amazon, the other one specifically from Build.com at this link:

kwired

Electron manager
Dont forget barns and other similar agricultural buildings have specifications for lighting that includes protection from accidental breaking of bulb and the prevention of potentially hot parts from making contact with flammable materials if it breaks ie: hay. Not sure if led lighting has some level of exemption or not and what you're looking at for appearance but here is a couple of old school example of that requirement in application, the one on right is an LED.
View attachment 2554831 View attachment 2554832
I've seen LEDs with similar configuration as the jelly jar on left.
The "stables" and a few other areas this may be more applicable. The arena area not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.