Lighting Above Drop Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Do any of you out there have a local code or amendment that requires you to have a lighting outlet above a drop ceiling to serve equipment that needs to be serviced?

I had a conversation with an inspector today in a neighboring jurisdiction that stated his area is now going to inforce 210.70(C) for air handlers installed anove a drop ceiling in a commercial building.

I asked him where the "usual point of entry" to get above the drop is, and he didn't have an answer. He said the chief electrical inspector had a good explanation, but he couldn't remember it. I also don't feel the area above a drop is an attic.

Per the Florida Building Code, an attic is "the space between the ceiling beems of the top story and the roof rafters." This jurisdiction is claiming the area above a drop is close enough a lighting outlet is needed, along with the switch control.

How do you guys feel about this?

charlie

Re: Lighting Above Drop Ceiling

Bryan, it sounds to me like the AHJ is making it up as he goes along. I would think an amendment would have to have a public hearing before the AHJ can make it part of the law. :roll:

physis

I feel like it's just a building. Not the starship Enterprise. Where will it end? Will it end? When is it safe enough? Never. It wont be safe enough until the buildings are delivered from Japan and Taiwan. And they still wont be safe enough. And people will continue to be injured through the rest of eternity.

Sorry I kind of didn't address the question, sometimes I feel like making more and more and more laws is bad.

redfish

Sounds to me like your AHJ has his commercial and residential construction mixed up. If it was gonna hold me up on my final , I'd install it. :)

dillon3c

:How do you feel about this.

I don't know...Exactly what equipment, would be deem in consideration along the lines of, need service..
Some of ceiling on larger jobs, have "RTU" control units attached to the duct-work above ceiling,equipped with small control transformers.

These RTU's require 120volt power.I've seen building with more than one large pad mount airhandler, on areas of same floor space working with, and in conjuction with these RTU's. And these RTU's being in "multible areas" of the ceiling space..

Will consideration be given same, on this ceiling equipment also?

-and heater coil unit boxes?-

dduffee260

How do you guys feel about this?

WIll he allow you to flip the lay-in troffer upside down in the grid? This would be an awsome !! work light for the A/C guy.

benaround

I think every time the 'drop ceiling' was mentioned I would have to say, Oh do you mean the attic!

Just another example of an'Enforcer of the code' thinking he/she is a 'Maker of the code'.

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.