Lighting Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I heard from someone that 12 gauge cannot be used for lighting circuits and can only be used for receptacles. As I’m learning the code, I looked up NEC 2020 and cannot find anything prohibiting 12 gauge for general lighting. For receptacles, other than kitchen, laundry, dining, bathroom, a 15 can be used. Is there anything in the code that says 12 gauge cannot be used for general lighting? Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've heard that NYC has some restrictions on NM sizes but someone from there will have to chime in on that. Definitely nothing in the NEC about that though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Today I heard from someone that 12 gauge cannot be used for lighting circuits and can only be used for receptacles. As I’m learning the code, I looked up NEC 2020 and cannot find anything prohibiting 12 gauge for general lighting. For receptacles, other than kitchen, laundry, dining, bathroom, a 15 can be used. Is there anything in the code that says 12 gauge cannot be used for general lighting? Thanks
No. Where do these guys get this stuff? :rolleyes:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
If the run is long enough you will technically need wire larger than #14. Larger wire is more than acceptable. Just make sure your OCPD doesn't exceed 20 amps for a resi lighting circuit.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I know of nothing that says 12awg cannot be used for lighting circuits, but a lot of the new LED fixtures are a lot harder to fit 12 wire in the mfg's boxes that are much smaller.
Also 12/2 wire has enough strength to actually force these newer recessed led fixture to sit cockeyed as spring clips aren't strong enough to fight the resistance of a 12/2 to flexing. So for convenience I say if for load and VD purposes will allow 14 I say use it rather than 12.

Thanks for the reply. At least I know for sure there is nothing in NEC prohibiting 12/2 for general lights. I’m in Westchester County and that comment on not using 12/2 for lighting took me by surprise since it was coming from someone who has been in the industry a while. They did work in NYC which uses only armored cable but again nothing saying that 12/2 cannot be used for residential.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Thanks for the reply. At least I know for sure there is nothing in NEC prohibiting 12/2 for general lights. I’m in Westchester County and that comment on not using 12/2 for lighting took me by surprise since it was coming from someone who has been in the industry a while. They did work in NYC which uses only armored cable but again nothing saying that 12/2 cannot be used for residential.

Years ago NEC limited lighting circuits to #14. Why, I'd like to know.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I've heard that NYC has some restrictions on NM sizes but someone from there will have to chime in on that. Definitely nothing in the NEC about that though.

Yonkers is not NYC. NYC requires plenty of strange things. I didn't think that they even allowed NM.

As I’m learning the code, I looked up NEC 2020...

As I said before in another of your threads, why are you referencing the 2020? New York is on the 2017. If you are going to learn, learn what we are using NOW.

THEN, after you've mastered the 2017,:rolleyes: if you curious see what the changes are in the 2020. But I suspect that you will be close to retirement by the time NY adopts some future code and the 2020 will be useless to us. So why bother? Like NY, many states skip over code cycles.

-Hal

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Yonkers is not NYC. NYC requires plenty of strange things. I didn't think that they even allowed NM.

As I said before in another of your threads, why are you referencing the 2020? New York is on the 2017. If you are going to learn, learn what we are using NOW.

THEN, after you've mastered the 2017,:rolleyes: if you curious see what the changes are in the 2020. But I suspect that you will be close to retirement by the time NY adopts some future code and the 2020 will be useless to us. So why bother? Like NY, many states skip over code cycles.

-Hal

NYC code is the NEC but with lots of amendments or additions, kind of like the Chicago electrical code.

I have another 4 years to go before I qualify then another 10 years or so before a planned retirement. I reference 2020 as it is the most updated even though Westchester is on 2017 but a lot of buzz on all the new changes. Exciting to me. For sure I will get to work with 2020 :).

-Hal
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.