Lighting Contactor Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another code issue with our wonderful inspection department.
Inspector says lighting contactors have to be in a U.L. listed assembly. This is a case of another salesman pushing those cheap automated lighting controllers.
The code does not address U.L. but falls under 430.92 Motor Control Centers, which covers control of motors, lighting and power circuits.
Article 225 covers outside lighting and equipment, no mention of U.L. here.
Article 312- Cabinets and cutout boxes only mentions construction specifications and fill.
Article 314-Outlet,device,pull boxes. By definition a lighting contactor is a device. Again, this section gives you construction specs and fill.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Lighting Contactor Cabinet

where in 430.92 does it say MCCs have to be listed?

there are a number of localities that have started requiring most electrical assemblys to be listed, regardless of what it is.

you might be able to get your assembly listed by a local UL panel shop.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The code does not address U.L. but falls under 430.92 Motor Control Centers, which covers control of motors, lighting and power circuits.
I would say that a stand alone lighting contactor is not covered under 430.92 which states that motor control centers installed for the control of motors, lighting, and power circuits. A lighting contactor is not a motor control center.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I asked my AHJ if a trench duct had to be UL listed. He said it did per the "UL White Book". Since when did UL start writing codes? And isn't it nice that UL gets to decide what they have to list!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I asked my AHJ if a trench duct had to be UL listed.
He should have said that it has to listed not UL listed. Underwriter Laboratories aren't the only listing company.

Sparkplug

You might want to look at Article 409 Industrial Control Panels. This article would pertain to lighting contactor cabinets and contains wording to having to be 'listed'. It provide a FPN referencing UL508A

Status
Not open for further replies.