Lighting Contactor & Relay Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
What is the difference between these two regarding thier components? Thanks.

Your question is a little vague. A lighting contactor (which can also be called a lighting relay) is a magnetic coil (mechanically or electrically held) with a determined number of normally open, and/or normally closed contacts. If you mean a Lighting control panel by relay panel, then it is a panel with controls such as on, off, photosensing, timed activation, motion activation, zone control integrated with lighting relays, which as I stated above are lighting contactors, usually each poel is indivually controlled and programmed though.

Hope this helps.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Your question is a little vague. A lighting contactor (which can also be called a lighting relay) is a magnetic coil (mechanically or electrically held) with a determined number of normally open, and/or normally closed contacts. If you mean a Lighting control panel by relay panel, then it is a panel with controls such as on, off, photosensing, timed activation, motion activation, zone control integrated with lighting relays, which as I stated above are lighting contactors, usually each poel is indivually controlled and programmed though.

Hope this helps.

What about a lighting contactor PANEL.Why I ask is because I thought a panel/switchgear vendor would quote this panel.

Attachments

• SCAN6216_000.pdf
    13.1 KB · Views: 4

mkgrady

What about a lighting contactor PANEL.Why I ask is because I thought a panel/switchgear vendor would quote this panel.

It looks too custom to me for any panel/switchgear manufacturer to quote it. I suspect you need to find a small manufacturer that is competetive with small special jobs.

It looks like the panel would need three timers and 12 relays. You could make it work with four 3 pole relays but it does list 12 on the drawing. Why not put the parts in an enclosure that has a hinged door and a label on the outside that says "Lighting Contactor Panel"?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It looks too custom to me for any panel/switchgear manufacturer to quote it. I suspect you need to find a small manufacturer that is competetive with small special jobs.

It looks like the panel would need three timers and 12 relays. You could make it work with four 3 pole relays but it does list 12 on the drawing. Why not put the parts in an enclosure that has a hinged door and a label on the outside that says "Lighting Contactor Panel"?

You right thanks.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I am an estimator. My feeling and experience on this item is this... First, I believe the name assigned by the Electrical Engineer was misleading. Generally this is called a Lighting Control Panel. Each individual module is generally referred to as a relay. These are usually provided by Lighting reps. As another poster stated, LC and D is one of these. However, GE has a line of lighting controls and they are usually quoted separately from the gear quote. Wattstopper has a line. Then to throe a qrench in the works, Square D has a line called Powerlink which combines the lighting control function with the breaker function. Since there it serves as the panel as well, they usually refuse to break it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.