Lighting Contactors

Status
Not open for further replies.

smarteng

Hi,

IS there general type or ratings of Lighting Contactors? Like for Motors, Types of Contactors are based on HorsePower( 00, 0 etc.).

What parameters do I need to take into account while finding appropriate Lighting Contactors for Lights to-be contolled by photocell.

Thanks you so much.

MattS87

Hi,

IS there general type or ratings of Lighting Contactors? Like for Motors, Types of Contactors are based on HorsePower( 00, 0 etc.).

What parameters do I need to take into account while finding appropriate Lighting Contactors for Lights to-be contolled by photocell.

Thanks you so much.

Main things to consider are # of poles (number of lighting circuits usually) and amps. Also, you'll want the coil voltage to match the photocell voltage

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
Hi,

Thanks you so much.

I'd rethink using the photo cell. They usually only last 2-3 years and have to be serviced from a ladder or lift usually. Have you looked into using a programmable solar timer? Honeywell makes a very nice one that we use at our plant to pull in lighting contactors. We started replacing all our photocells with them.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
if you must use a photocell, face it north. not north-east or north-west. straight north. it will not last long if it gets direct sunlight.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'd rethink using the photo cell. They usually only last 2-3 years and have to be serviced from a ladder or lift usually. Have you looked into using a programmable solar timer? Honeywell makes a very nice one that we use at our plant to pull in lighting contactors. We started replacing all our photocells with them.

Not to "advertise", but one of our members makes a plug in replacement for the twist lock socketed photocells used for outside lighting that does not need programming. It uses GPS to find its location and the local time and just bases its operation on local astronomical sunrise and sunset.

kwired

Electron manager
Majority of time photocells tend fail to "on" position.

Though bypass switches are still a good idea sometimes just in case.

Failing to on position usually means the photoelectric sensor itself has failed. If it fails "off" the output switch is usually failed in some manner, this maybe happens if switch is used for more load than it is rated for.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Not to "advertise", but one of our members makes a plug in replacement for the twist lock socketed photocells used for outside lighting that does not need programming. It uses GPS to find its location and the local time and just bases its operation on local astronomical sunrise and sunset.

I see them advertised as being available from CEDs but my local stores do not seem to know about them. I think I found the correct link.

Status
Not open for further replies.