Lighting Contactors

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
"Get away with" is an appropriate term.
Most definite purpose contactors are UL Recognized as a component part and not listed as a stand alone piece of equipment.
Most likely they will handle the load fine but your AHJ may not approve of them in that scenario.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have gotten away with using them for everything from lighting to fire-suppression systems.

Nobody has ever asked about them or to see them.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I’ve used DP contactors for about anything imaginable because I’ve seen them used that way by mfgs.

Hadn’t thought of IEC but they are more commonly available than in the past.

The advantage of the lighting contactor is they latch in, and the ones I’ve dealt with, can be manually transitioned when a coil fails.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I’ve used DP contactors for about anything imaginable because I’ve seen them used that way by mfgs.

Hadn’t thought of IEC but they are more commonly available than in the past.

The advantage of the lighting contactor is they latch in, and the ones I’ve dealt with, can be manually transitioned when a coil fails.
You can generally add a latch attachment to an iec style contactor.

Smash

The difference and I’m not looking for a cheap way. I can get a DP 30amp 120v coil for $25 will still need a housing but lighting contactor same specs with housing $300plus that seems like a drastic difference and if you needed several the savings could add up. That all said I will go with a houses lighting contactor this is a very good customer of mine and I don’t want any problems down the road. Thx for the input.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor