Lighting Contactors

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Have never had to install lighting contactors, but I have a job that I've volunteered some labor to the towns athletic fields. They were hit with a flood and most of the lighting contactors that were on the poles ended up under water. Haven't seen them yet, but I'd like some tips on what I might have to do in order to see if they're salvageable.

I'm going to go over next week, as they've got them all off the poles and in storage. My guess is they didn't bother to dry them out once the water cleared.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to go to work with a megger. Haven't had much experience with a megger - actually going to buy one - as it's an opportunity to add a new tool, and again, I'm assuming I'll need one to help out in this work that I'm volunteering to help out. I had originally just assumed I'd volunteer my labor to run the conduit, pull wire and make connections - but they mentioned the contactors once I signed up. I'm assuming they've got some contactors in them and then some control transformers - which are probably the two most sensitive items when it comes to damage by water. This poor field saw almost 8' of water on the field during the peak of the flood.

Is there some type of reference book that anyone is aware of, where I can read up on methods of using a megger to troubleshoot. I know it's one thing we used to talk briefly about in my apprenticeship training, but we never actually did anything as far as hands-on. And during my years as a journeyman, I never had to use one, as all my experience was new construction - and never had a problem that would have needed a megger to solve.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
bjp_ne_elec said:
Have never had to install lighting contactors, but I have a job that I've volunteered some labor to the towns athletic fields. They were hit with a flood and most of the lighting contactors that were on the poles ended up under water. Haven't seen them yet, but I'd like some tips on what I might have to do in order to see if they're salvageable.

I'm going to go over next week, as they've got them all off the poles and in storage. My guess is they didn't bother to dry them out once the water cleared.

One big problem with the contactors will be the rust that occurs on the magnet pole faces. this rust can prevent the contactor from closing completely resulting in excess noise, excess current draw by the coil, chattering of the contacts or light contact pressure. Do not clean this rust off with sand paper or a wire brush, you can mar the magnet faces causing even more problems.

mdshunk

Pressure wash them and bake them in your oven at 150 degrees F for a couple hours. Oil the moving parts lightly with SAE 10 non-detergent oil ("sewing machine oil"). Megger check before returned to service.

r_merc

mdshunk said:
Pressure wash them and bake them in your oven at 150 degrees F for a couple hours. Oil the moving parts lightly with SAE 10 non-detergent oil ("sewing machine oil"). Megger check before returned to service.

I guess since you are volunteering and not warranting these contactors go with the above. But if it ends up being a liability issue then I have to wonder if its such a good idea.

Rick

mdshunk

r_merc said:
I guess since you are volunteering and not warranting these contactors go with the above. But if it ends up being a liability issue then I have to wonder if its such a good idea.
It's okay to wonder that, but it does absolutely square with the PEARL reconditioning standards. After all, you're doing a pretty darned good check (megger) before returning it to service.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
It's okay to wonder that, but it does absolutely square with the PEARL reconditioning standards. After all, you're doing a pretty darned good check (megger) before returning it to service.

Marc, what is PEARL?

Thanks. :smile:

masterinbama

had some motor starters in a tunnel one time that flooded. The journeymen sure looked at me funny when I told them "as soon as the water is pumped out pull the starters as fast as possible and put them in a bucket of water" Learned this from my Dad who was a photographer and camera repairman for NASA. As long as they are underwater they don't rust as fast and gives you more time to clean and dry the properly.That's what would tell people about their cameras.

Last edited:

satcom

mdshunk said:

If you have a hard time finding sewing machine oil, use gun oil, hunting supply item.

bjp_ne_elec

Marc - where did you come up with the temp to bake out? Does this go for the coils as well as the contactor?

R-Merc - it's not going to be a liability issue, as I'm going to have the association issue me a release from liability - as this is volunteer work - and I told them that there would be some risk if the existing contactors are used. I haven't actually been in to the contactors yet, as they were sitting in a locked storage building. I'm supposed to take a look at them this week.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.