Lighting Control Panel

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
when installing a lighting control panel, does anything prohibit multiple OCPD locations for branch circuits?

Pound

New User
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
Good evening,and yes A Newbie has entered the World Of Be An Electrician LoL So today I arrive at work and we had a section of lights out. I did my normal routine troubleshooting and found this can anyone give me some input on this device? GE Wiring Device RR7 Basic Circuit-Remote Control Control Relay

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This is a bistable relay for lighting control which is operated by separate momentary 24V AC coils. One turns the relay on and the other turns it off. It can be used in conjunction with multiple pole and rotary switches as well as momentary push buttons to implement very complex lighting systems controlled from multiple points.
A typical installation has a control enclosure with multiple relays, and home runs of controlled AC to each fixture or group of fixtures.
It can also be implemented with individual relays mounted in junction boxes in a way that provides separation of the power wiring from the control wiring as required by NEC.
Even more complex multipoint and grouped control schemes can be implemented using diodes to handle the logic. Since the activation contacts are momentary, it is safe to provide half-wave rectified DC to the control windings instead of AC.
New installations are rare, but replacement parts are available.

Malisa Woo

Occupation
Electronics Engineer
It is crucial to ensure proper coordination of OCPDs to protect the branch circuits effectively. Coordination involves selecting OCPDs that can provide adequate protection while minimizing unnecessary tripping.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
This is a bistable relay for lighting control which is operated by separate momentary 24V AC coils. One turns the relay on and the other turns it off. It can be used in conjunction with multiple pole and rotary switches as well as momentary push buttons to implement very complex lighting systems controlled from multiple points.
A typical installation has a control enclosure with multiple relays, and home runs of controlled AC to each fixture or group of fixtures.
It can also be implemented with individual relays mounted in junction boxes in a way that provides separation of the power wiring from the control wiring as required by NEC.
Even more complex multipoint and grouped control schemes can be implemented using diodes to handle the logic. Since the activation contacts are momentary, it is safe to provide half-wave rectified DC to the control windings instead of AC.
New installations are rare, but replacement parts are available.
I wired a remodel at an old Ryan's Steakhouse 3 years ago that was being turned into a seafood restaurant, and almost all the interior lighting was on RR7s in one panel

About half the lighting schemes had to be reconfigured for new design. Super easy