Lighting Controls and Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA_Sparky

Electrical Engineer
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As an engineer sometime its difficult to choose what's best for a given project since I personally never get to see the Cost of material. Manufacturers refuse to give me prices due to markups, distributers don't like giving this info to me since I'm not a contractor awarded the project (waste of their time), and contractors seem to be too busy or potentially afraid that passing this info over may cut into their profits.

Say there is 6000sq ft restaurant with 12 potential zones to control, multiple dimmers and occupancy sensors.

What is the cheapest option with respect to labor and materials; Line voltage, low-voltage wired, low-voltage wireless?
That factors may significantly impact overall cost?

I've been told when it comes to ELV dimming and 0-10V, mixing the two systems causes a significant increase in controls cost and infrastructure. This was simply going from a wireless system, no LCP, all 0-10V dimmable fixtures. To 90% of the fixtures being 0-10V dimming and 10% ELV dimming tracks.

Lighting reps preach Low Voltage wireless is the best way to go for everyone minus contractors that are resistant to change...
  • "Additional material cost up front, significantly lower labor cost due to minimal CAT5 instead of all line voltage"
  • Easier to add/remove devices later on.
  • Multiple Zones can be fed from different circuits and controlled by any single switch if needed.
Don't hold back on your responses, just think of the big picture. Looking for an ideal approach to keep client, contractor, and end user happy.

Thanks,

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
What is the cheapest option with respect to labor and materials; Line voltage, low-voltage wired, low-voltage wireless?
That factors may significantly impact overall cost?
I have a few design rules I try to follow when designing stuff:
#1 Nothing permanently installed shall rely on a battery to perform its intended function.
#2 Nothing permanently installed shall rely on a wireless connection to perform its intended function.
There are exceptions to every rule, but not both rules.
I avoid stuff like "Wireless occupancy sensor with 10 year battery"
I find that wired systems are easy for electricians/maintenance techs to troubleshoot and maintain.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Don't hold back on your responses, just think of the big picture. Looking for an ideal approach to keep client, contractor, and end user happy.

You can't make all of them happy at the same time. The contractor only cares about how much money he can make, and the end user only cares about the installed cost. Not always true, I know, but it is close enough.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The Wattstopper Architectural Dimming platform easily mixes 0-10v and ELV dimming.

Another good option is Lutron Grafik Eye, or Acuity nLight.

We're building a restaurant right now with a Trane Building Management & Automation system. I know literally nothing about it; right now we just have several cabinets with lighting contactors. I think the interface is some sort of wall-mounted LCD screen but I haven't actually seen it. That particular customer changes control systems every quarter it seems always chasing something better.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
The Wattstopper Architectural Dimming platform easily mixes 0-10v and ELV dimming.
This is a good system
Another good option is Lutron Grafik Eye,
Too much wireless
or Acuity nLight.
This one I have not used but I am interested in the DMX control
We're building a restaurant right now with a Trane Building Management & Automation system. I know literally nothing about it; right now we just have several cabinets with lighting contactors. I think the interface is some sort of wall-mounted LCD screen but I haven't actually seen it.
I am curious about this system

Status
Not open for further replies.