lighting designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC code lists horizontal distance for 120V exterior lighting fixture to be 5ft to swimming pool, however 12V is listed as 10 feet. It seems backwards, ie it seems that the required distance should be reversed .

Why does the code require these horizontal distances? In the office we all felt that it should have been 10' for 120V and 5' for 12V.

Thank you.

jnsane84

Honestly I would feel comfortable if they were both 10' but I agree that it does seem like if they were to stay at those distances it should be reversed. Still think they should both be 10'.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
alenaappia said:
NEC code lists horizontal distance for 120V exterior lighting fixture to be 5ft to swimming pool, however 12V is listed as 10 feet. It seems backwards, ie it seems that the required distance should be reversed .

Why does the code require these horizontal distances? In the office we all felt that it should have been 10' for 120V and 5' for 12V.

Thank you.

Could you please show me the article that supports what you said?

alenaappia said:

Thank you.

Could this be because the 12v fixtures might not be grounded? sorry... might not have an EGC ? :wink: Also, if installed on GFCI, wouldn't the transformer on the 12v system interfere with the protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.