Lighting education

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNC

I'm curious, if any electricians here have any good sources, or tips on furthering lighting knowledge. Lighting is such a detailed subject that i am trying to really specialize in.
Being a journeyman electrician, I have had alittle bit of everything, construction, service, maintenance. I definitely feel for an electrician I know alot about lighting, but want to get further into design. I feel like knowing the basics of design, and calculations, it would help alot in maintenance, and retrofits. I'm not trying to play engineer or lighting designer, I just want to basics. Photometrics, foot-candle calculations, Lighting design basics etc. I have researched my "lighting certification", im looking for good books, literature, websites, Any online classes, or useful certificates.
Any input from someone that has taken their own electrical career or knowledge, and focused more on specifically lighting. Thanks in advance guys.

cadpoint

I beleive you need to look at this society - IES Lighting Society, this group has books for sale, course studies, and a membership fee which includes a monthly magazine (LD+A).

Here a search engine link that states about the same IES Lighting Society

I have no relationship with this society in making this referral!

Last Leg

There is probably an ulimited source of knowledge on line. IES is good. Also, the major manufacturers have a lot of resources on their sites, too. Cooper, Lithonia, Lightolier, etc.

BullsnPyrs

There is probably an ulimited source of knowledge on line. IES is good. Also, the major manufacturers have a lot of resources on their sites, too. Cooper, Lithonia, Lightolier, etc.

What he said! Other smaller manufacturers and distributers like TCP also offer informative webinars and resources online.

rexowner

Occupation
Electrician
If you are in California, PG&E offers some decent free classes.

BTW, I wish folks would put their location on their profile, which would
sometimes help in answering questions in a more useful manner.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am a member of the IES and our local chapter has free lighting ed classes. IES has some on line. In seattle we have the Lighting Design Lab and its a great resource. But start with the IES

BILLY101

It's just my way of digging into subject that may be beyond my education. I just start reading and at first it seems like Greek. But after a while a few synapses fire and viola people think I'm an expert.
Check out NIST and DOE. They are developing standards and tests for LEDs.
It's an exciting time to observe this transition to a new paradigm for lighting.

BILLY

CNC

I beleive you need to look at this society - IES Lighting Society, this group has books for sale, course studies, and a membership fee which includes a monthly magazine (LD+A).

Here a search engine link that states about the same IES Lighting Society

I have no relationship with this society in making this referral!

I will look into joining IES, looks cool. Thanks

petey_c

Since 99% of my work is residential, I've always wanted to find a class to give me new ideas on lighting/illumination. I'll take a look at IES and see what they have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.