Lighting:Mixing voltages in luminares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am currently running a project where their is tenant fitouts as we progress.
Some are as small as 1000 sq. ft. and larger.

Service is 277/480 all lighting is 277.

Now I completed 2 units which are about 1000 and 1800 sq ft. I installed two panels 1 - 480 and installed step down in ceiling (15kva) to 120/208.

I kept 277v as the lighting scheme, Same as rest of building.

But now someone else finished one unit and which is small i think not sure on sq ft. did not see it yet, Just was told. And installed only a 120/208 panel. I guess they installed a 480 disc up in ceiling and fed trans up there and dropped down only the 120/208 line.

Now lighting in this suite is only 120. I dont like mixing voltages and throwing things out of sync, Is there any guidelines I can tell owner because his inquiry into it. I dont like two lighting voltages.

Note. Owner dont like two panels in room sometimes they cant be hidden well.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now lighting in this suite is only 120. I dont like mixing voltages and throwing things out of sync, Is there any guidelines I can tell owner because his inquiry into it. I dont like two lighting voltages.
Just use different conductor colors for each voltage system, like brown/orange/yellow and black/red/blue.

It's no different than 120v receptacle circuits with 277v lighting circuits. You can tell them apart, right?

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
clarify

clarify

I am not sure if I am explaining it clearly.
They eliminated a 277v panel and just ran a 120/208. Lighting in this suite is 120 now. Rest of building all 277v. I dont know if it bad or good. I would prefer all lights remain 277 in all parts of office blg. 40000 sq ft.

iwire

Staff member
Other than your own dislike for it I don't think you will find any standard that will help you out.

The commercial buildings I work in will typically have 277 and 120 lighting fixtures intermixed in the same area.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks

Thanks

I just hope no maintenance guy gets relaxed thinking 120 and then moves on to a 277volt. I am sure a lawyer would find something wrong for it. I usually dont worry. Bet these lawyers find the most at of a opportunity.

iwire

Staff member
I just hope no maintenance guy gets relaxed thinking 120 and then moves on to a 277volt. I am sure a lawyer would find something wrong for it. I usually dont worry. Bet these lawyers find the most at of a opportunity.

Not really following you here, both 120 and 277 will kill.

ultramegabob

I work in commercial buildings all the time that have mixed voltages for light fixtures, I never really gave it much thought, the ballasts are clearly marked what voltage they are. 277 for fluorescents, and 120 for track lighting is pretty common in retail. lately the fluorescent fixtures I have been installing have electronic ballasts in them that can be connected 120 or 277, so it really isnt that big of a deal anyway, If I need to know what the voltage is, I use a meter...

USMC1302

I agree with always checking, especially if you didn't install it originally. Ever see a fixture whip with a black and white with 277v ?

Status
Not open for further replies.