Lighting question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I just installed twelve Lithonia T5 Grid Troffers. These fixtures are two tube 25 / 28 watt 4 Ft.

Observation -- When one of the fixtures lights it only burns for about 3 - 5 sec then shuts down. If I disconnect the Ballast Disconnect and reconnect about 1 min. later it fires for 3 - 5 sec. and again, shuts down.

Question -- is this a ballast issue?

Thanks in advance

mxstar211

I would put my money on a ballast issue. If it was a lamp problem only one of the lamps should be defective with electronic ballasts. Plus, the frequency that the problem occurs, and the way you describe it sounds like a ballast. If you do a lot of lighting work or trouble-shooting, they do make a flourescent lamp tester that works pretty well.

mnbiker

I have recently installed about 90 of these, what I have found is both lamps need to be good and in the sockets proper, found 2 that the lamps wires were pinched in the sheet metal and few that the ballast were not fastened down. in all situations the fixture acted the same way as you described, would light up for a second and go out. good luck......

Occupation
Inspector
Follow up:

I discovered a bad socket and tube. When I fixed the socket and replaced the T5 everything is working as it should.

Thanks to all.

Jim W in Tampa

We must keep in mind that all parts are subject to being defective. Start with voltage check on input. Past that anything and everything is at question. Gladly come help check it out and visit kin folk at same time LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.