lighting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilltop

I will be installing new lighting in an industrial setting.
Ceiling is greater than 20 feet.
fixtures are 4lamp and 6lamp T-8's.
I am being asked to use 16/4 SEOOW cord as fixture whips from the J-box to the fixture. I am not finding in the code where I can verify that 16/4 is sufficient ampacity for this installation.
Art. 400.7 states that flexible cord can be used for the wiring of luminaires. 400.5 states the allowable ampacityas 10A to 13A.
We will be utilizing 3 wire SEOOW ( one hot and a nuet with Gnd.)
What is the max allowable length of the SEOOW as a fixture whip?
Is 16/4 sufficient?

All lighting is 277V and will be controlled by a 20A breaker / motion sensors

hilltop

cool chart, thanks for the link!

o.k.
so this chart tells me what I already know....the lighting will be fed from a 20A circuit/breaker....because we are using the SEOOW as a fixture whip...is there a code article stating that the 13A ampacity of the SEOOW cord is sufficient?
Also, this chart does not give me what the max length I can use between the J-box and the light fixture.

hilltop

Good question...I did not order the material, that is why I am questioning and asking for help before installing.
Actually, some of the fixtures will be used as EM fixtures so will need a hot and switch leg to some fixtures....but not the majority.

Nobody wants to tackle weather or not the code allows me to use SEOOW as a fixture whip :O). These are not pendant lights they are T8 lamp fixtures.

The area where these will be installed is greater than a 20 foot ceiling.
the lights will probably be hung by fix. chain from unistrut, with j-box mounted to unistrut in most cases.

hilltop

420.67(C) (2) (c)

What code is this article located in????

I am still not clear about the length of flexible cord I am allowed to use by code. 240.5(B)(2) tells me that I can use 16 if the breaker is less than 100' away, correct?
410.62(C)(1) and (2) tells me the flexible cord can be used if following conditions are met:
1) luminaire is located directly below the outlet
2) flexible cord meets all of the following
a. flexible cord visible for the entire length
b. not cubject to physical strain
c. luminaire assembly with a strain relief and canopy (in our case)

Flexible cord is not a manufactured system so therefore not subject to 604.6(C) that permits a max of 6' length

So am I to assume that within reason; I could use 15' of flexible cord that is totally visible with strain relief and connect to a fixture mounted directly under J-box and be with inthe code requirements?

As I stated earlier this is a situation where 2x4 and 15"x4 lighting will suspend from an open ceiling.
Thanks for all of your in put :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
420.67(C) (2) (c)

What code is this article located in????

I am still not clear about the length of flexible cord I am allowed to use by code. 240.5(B)(2) tells me that I can use 16 if the breaker is less than 100' away, correct?
410.62(C)(1) and (2) tells me the flexible cord can be used if following conditions are met:
1) luminaire is located directly below the outlet
2) flexible cord meets all of the following
a. flexible cord visible for the entire length
b. not cubject to physical strain
c. luminaire assembly with a strain relief and canopy (in our case)

Flexible cord is not a manufactured system so therefore not subject to 604.6(C) that permits a max of 6' length

So am I to assume that within reason; I could use 15' of flexible cord that is totally visible with strain relief and connect to a fixture mounted directly under J-box and be with in the code requirements?

As I stated earlier this is a situation where 2x4 and 15"x4 lighting will suspend from an open ceiling.
Thanks for all of your in put :)

obvious typo on my part ... 410.62(C)(2)(C).
It is my understanding that if YOU are providing the cord, it must be cord & PLUG connected. If the cord and canopy is part of the fixture listing then no plug is needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.