Lighting up a sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

Needs some ideas from you guys. Trying to figure out a way to light up a building sign. This Sign is very large and uses HO U shape lamps. The lamps and ballasts are very expensive. I thought about just throwing some standard strip lights inside the sign or mounting some fixtures on top to wash the sign with. What are your thoughts.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Is there room inside to install a medium or mogul base so that you could use CFLs?

Changed some 150W HPS street lights out to 300W equivalent CFLs. Bypassed everything by wiring directly to base. Cheaper and easier for the HO to change lamps.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Needs some ideas from you guys. Trying to figure out a way to light up a building sign. This Sign is very large and uses HO U shape lamps. The lamps and ballasts are very expensive. I thought about just throwing some standard strip lights inside the sign or mounting some fixtures on top to wash the sign with. What are your thoughts.

If there is room i would install stip lights:)

HotConductor

Here is what I had in mind:

http://www.martin-supply.com/led.php

Click on the middle ad on the left for Light Engines. You can fax them a drawing of the sign and they will engineer led modules for the sign.

It's not cheap but you can sell your client on energy savings and no maintenance. Plus they can't be any easier to install.

Cavie

HO ballast and lamps are used in signs to illuminate the special paint on the inside of the plastic face of the sign. Standard floursent lighting will not be sufficient to illuminate the sign from the inside and will not do a good job on the outsie either.

Bumblescumps

it all really depends if the strip lights would illuminate the sign or not, and how thick the paint is. id suggest going with the ballast since like Cavie said, they can shine through the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.