Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kundinger

We have a room where we transfer gasoline from conditioning carts to vehicles to be tested. We have to transfer this fuel in controlled temperatures per test specifications. The overall ceiling height is 30 feet. We have a drop ceiling at 13' from the floor. The room contains less than 100 gallons of fuel at any time. My question is: do our lighting fixtures have to be rated for use in class I div I or II. We have a adequate ventilation and safeties during fueling process.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Kundinger said:
We have a room where we transfer gasoline from conditioning carts to vehicles to be tested. We have to transfer this fuel in controlled temperatures per test specifications. The overall ceiling height is 30 feet. We have a drop ceiling at 13' from the floor. The room contains less than 100 gallons of fuel at any time. My question is: do our lighting fixtures have to be rated for use in class I div I or II. We have a adequate ventilation and safeties during fueling process.

Hmm. Good question.

Your answer would seem to rest in article 514, which appears to lead to 511.7(B)(1)(b). That appears to indicate that above 12 feet normal lighting can be used.

OTOH, I have seen a few such areas that used lighting in such areas that was explosion proof. So maybe I am missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.