Lightning and surge protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpd24

Hey everbody, looking for some information on lightning and surge protection for houses.I'm doing a new house shortly and the owner wants some protection, frequent storms in the summer.Is there any recomended equipmemt that stands up better than any other, is there any certain specs that I should look for, or any installation methods that should be done. Appreciate any help.
Thank You

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Lightning and surge protection.

For lightning protection refer to NFPA-780 and UL-96A.

For a residence TVSS there are three ways to go:

1. Have the POCO install TVSS in the meter base.

2. Buy the main panel with integrated TVSS built in.

3. 1 and 2 above combined.

If you go with a panel look for UL-1449 SVR 330 volt rating, NEMA LS-1 Amps Per Mode, ANSI C62.41 Cat C3 ratings, and NEC 285 KAIC compliance.

For a residence I reccomend you look for a minimum of 60 KA per mode with only L-N modes of protection. Do not waist money on a protector with all modes at the entrance such as L-G, and N-G modes.

If it were my house, option 1 or 3.

[ November 04, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

hurk27

Re: Lightning and surge protection.

Here is a good site to read up on.
Lightning safety Building protection page

But keep in mind that many states require licensing as this is a special field and requires a good deal of knowledge to be done correctly. and if the system is not installed correctly you can be held liable for damage that could of been avoided. of course it would be hard to prove that any system will protect everything but when the investigators look hard and find that things were not installed properly they can have a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.