Lightning protection 100 feet tall building near of an international airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

O'donisR

Hi, I need to install a lightning system (externally) to a four old buildings (see image lagoon.jpg) around 150 feet tall near to an international airport in Dade County (Miami FL) I'm planning to strap the wires from the roof down to the ground rods by using the building external walls, also there are like 60 A/C units on the roof and I would like to know where ton the NEC or NFPA show the minimum size of wire that can be use to bod adjacent metal objects to the lightning system, here is a few images so you guys can help me with ideas and recommendations. Thank you

Attachments

• lagoon.jpg
    lagoon.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • airt.jpg
    airt.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hi, I need to install a lightning system (externally) to a four old buildings (see image lagoon.jpg) around 150 feet tall near to an international airport in Dade County (Miami FL) I'm planning to strap the wires from the roof down to the ground rods by using the building external walls, also there are like 60 A/C units on the roof and I would like to know where ton the NEC or NFPA show the minimum size of wire that can be use to bod adjacent metal objects to the lightning system, here is a few images so you guys can help me with ideas and recommendations. Thank you

I've never heard of an EC doing lightning protection work that was not also a UL certified lightning protection contractor. Are you? This is a real area of specialty.
Just as a side note, I'm originally from your neck of the woods and know the buildings you are referring to. As I recall, that was known as the Blue Lagoon area.

O'donisR

I've never heard of an EC doing lightning protection work that was not also a UL certified lightning protection contractor. Are you? This is a real area of specialty.
Just as a side note, I'm originally from your neck of the woods and know the buildings you are referring to. As I recall, that was known as the Blue Lagoon area.

Thank you for the reply, yes that is blue lagoon area..

O'donisR

Can you explain why a EC cannot do a lighting protection? I spoke to Dade building Officials and they told me that a EC can do the job and get the permit from the building department also, but it requires an additional letter from a certification lighting protection company, it is the same thing with the fire alarm panels an additional certification is required, please if have an additional info let me know. Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can you explain why a EC cannot do a lighting protection? I spoke to Dade building Officials and they told me that a EC can do the job and get the permit from the building department also, but it requires an additional letter from a certification lighting protection company, it is the same thing with the fire alarm panels an additional certification is required, please if have an additional info let me know. Thank you

What he may have meant was that lightning protection systems are generally designed by people listed by UL to do so. It would be unusual for a run of the mill EC to be doing this kind of work.

O'donisR

What he may have meant was that lightning protection systems are generally designed by people listed by UL to do so. It would be unusual for a run of the mill EC to be doing this kind of work.

I spoke to certified lightning protection company and they offer me the inspection and a certificate I need for a consideration plus a design of the system. I think this the same process as when I do a fire alarm panel, requires a city inspection and a certification from specialize company.

I just trying to get more details from a new area.. Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I spoke to certified lightning protection company and they offer me the inspection and a certificate I need for a consideration plus a design of the system. I think this the same process as when I do a fire alarm panel, requires a city inspection and a certification from specialize company.

I just trying to get more details from a new area.. Thank you

I think the questions you asked are best answered by the guys doing the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.