Lightning protection system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruko

Back in NJ our Scout camp had lightning rods and grounding wires. It was half-way up a mountain (well, it was NJ, so it was more like a hill), surrounded by trees taller than the lightning rods. In the 20 years I was active, it was never hit by lightning. But that's one of those negative proofs.

Belt + suspenders is better than nothing. If your pants don't fall down, which one saved them?
I too have never been hit by lightning. I always wear rubber boots when there's an electrical storm so I'm insulated from the ground.

kwired

Electron manager
I too have never been hit by lightning. I always wear rubber boots when there's an electrical storm so I'm insulated from the ground.
Might help some, but is no guarantee you will never get hit. Look how far that arc had to jump in the first place, your boot with maybe max of 1 inch of rubber on the sole is nothing in comparison.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Only person I personally know who was hit by lightning (survived) had HOLES burnt thru his rubber soled tennis shoes.

synchro

Occupation
EE
Might help some, but is no guarantee you will never get hit. Look how far that arc had to jump in the first place, your boot with maybe max of 1 inch of rubber on the sole is nothing in comparison.
Agree. A boot might reduce the likelihood of being injured by the step potential across the ground surface caused be a nearby strike. But I think it would not effect the chance of having a more direct hit.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Seems to be a common misconception.
Late 60's and early 70s was when the 'lightning prevention dissipator' snake oil folks started making their pitches, perhaps pauleng can add his knowledge on the 'snake oil' aspect of dissipation.
Lightning rods do dissipate charge, a la St. Elmo's Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.