Lightning System requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I find the code requirement with regard to the minimal height of building that requires lightning protection? The apex point of the building is about 11.5m high and total area of the building is about 1800 m2 (45mx40m) and is located in Riyadh- Saudi Arabia.

bphgravity

First, you need to identify the codes and standards applicable to the structure in question. I do not know what codes and standards are enforced in Saudi Arabia. it is likely NFPA documents are not applicable.

Second, the NFPA 780 & the other international lightning protection standards do not mandate when a building or structure is to be protected. Some other regulating body such as the building code, local ordinance, or engineered specifications (insurance driven) will detail when a building or structure is to be protected from lightning.

Third, most of the lightning protection standards require an analysis of risk to determine the scale and scope of the lightning protection system to be installed. While building height is a primary component of that analysis, it is not the only factor which determines if and what lightning protection requirements will have to be met.

It would be advisable for you to consult with lightning protection experts familar with the geographical area and the codes and standards applicable to the project...

mtfallsmikey

Not sure what/which code applies in your case, but I have Master Labels issued by UL's Lightning Protection Systems Program for the lightning system installed at my buildings, issued under
UL96A.

Status
Not open for further replies.