Lights and pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtazjr

I need some help with an issue.

What is the distance that 120volt lights, verticle and horizontal, from the pools waters edge.

I am having problems interpreting and understanding what the 2002 NEC says. Any changes that the 2005 that anyone knows would help also.

Thanks

bphgravity

Re: Lights and pools

This is found in section 680.22(B) of the NEC. You have three conditions, new outdoor, new indoor, and existing.

For new outdoor, the luminaire can't be less than 12' above the water level directly over the pool and extending out 5' horizontally from the pool.

For new indoor, the distance can be lowered to 7'6" if the circuit is gfci protected and the lamp is totally enclosed.

For existing, the luminaire can be less than 5' horizontally from the pool as long as it is at least 5' above the water line and gfci protected.

There are no changes for the 2005 edition.

jwelectric

Re: Lights and pools

I agree with Mr. Holland?s post unless you are installing these lights under the water in which case they would need to be 18 inches below the water unless listed and identified for use at lesser depths in which case it can be 4 inches below the water. If these fixtures are placed on the bottom looking up they will need to be guarded so no person can come into contact with them.

Between the two of us I think we have covered both above and below the water rules for light fixtures.
:D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.