Lights burning out quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Me too, at one building I started writing ballast change dates inside fixture, I don't think I've changed any with less than 4 years service, before I started doing that my customer thought he was changing ballasts constantly. Maybe he was, but he has a lot of fixtures, ballasts fail at different ages.

And at carwash I keep a log of which get new lamps or ballasts, yes I work on the lights frequently, no not the same ones.

So these are flourescents and metal halides, but the same principle can apply in a dwelling.

Even marking the date the lamps were replaced can have some value. And it is a good idea to replace all lamps - especially with T12 that have lamps connected in series. Only replace one and you will likely end up replacing the other within a relatively short time but will be scratching your head thinking didn't I just fix this light not long ago?

"zero resistance / no continuity"??????

They are exact opposites. How many ohms did the DMM read? Zero resistance = 0 ohms, no continuity = infinite ohms.

I think he was just having a hard time coming up with the word 'infinity', but still somewhat effectively got his point across.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
In my experience, 99.9% of the time it is the voltage of the bulb. I only use 130V bulbs. I wish they would outlaw 120V bulbs.

I agree with you about the voltage of the bulbs. Point is, the POCO makes more money if we keep the voltage at 124 or 125... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.