Lights Flicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshane

Got a call to a house with lights that flicker.(when i say flicker i mean like when a power tool or compresser is turned on at a job sight and the temp lights kinda blick or flicker from the surge)
One circuit feeding all master bedroom outlets and the master bath lights, on a arc-fault breaker. Turning on the bath lights the bedroom light and the plugged in table lamp will flicker and seem to be slighly dimmer than when bath lights are off. Also when turning on the tv in the bed room does the same thing. Took circuit off arc-fault , even put on other phase and when i check voltage i get a 4 volt drop when turning on bath lights. All other lights in the house seem fine except for when the dryer starts up other lights that are on flicker just like temp lighting does when a compresser kicks on.We pulled every recept out pigtailed the wires, checked all connections at the switches.
Sure could use some help!??????

Thank you

physis

Re: Lights Flicker.

Sounds like you have some resistance in the wiring between the breaker and whatever else.

When I got to where you said there is a 4 volt voltage drop I decided I'm convinced.

I'm guessing if you look enough you'll find a loose wire nut.

Put higher wattage bulbs in and the voltage drop will increase.

bob

I agree with Physis. You have a bad or loose connection. I suggest that you check the voltage at the inside panel. Plug in an iron at the closest plug. The iron will draw about 10 amps and should give you a good test. If the voltage is steady at the panel you know the problem is on the load side of the panel. If it is not steady the problem is between the inside panel and the utiltiy transformer. Check the voltage at the meter using the iron as the load. If the voltage is not steady then the problem is between the meter and the transformer.

senti7rs

okay here is my theory.The panelboard was not properly balanced when wired in.The outlets and lights share a common neutral,if one circuit is drawing 10A and the other is drawing 50A the current on the common "neutral" is 40A.Meaning that that neutral isn't as positively charged as one with zero potential,ground zero,current will not flow,too much resistance,i agree.

peter d

Originally posted by senti7rs:
okay here is my theory.The panelboard was not properly balanced when wired in.The outlets and lights share a common neutral,if one circuit is drawing 10A and the other is drawing 50A the current on the common "neutral" is 40A.Meaning that that neutral isn't as positively charged as one with zero potential,ground zero,current will not flow,too much resistance,i agree.
Huh? :confused:

charlie

What is the voltage at the service equipment? Most of the time the flicker is because you are too far from the electric utility's transformer, their secondary is too small, their secondary is too long, their transformer is too small, or a combination of all of the above.

Call the serving electric utility to check out their service voltage. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.