Lights in bathroom on load side of gfci receptacle. Yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darekelec

I remember a code that did not allow to connect lights in bath to load side of gfci. I cannot find it now. Was it there or the heatweave in nyc doesn't let me think clearly?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If the 20a bath circuit does not feed another bathroom, then it's OK. Read the Exception to 210.11(C)(3).
I think you may have misread the question. If I understand correctly, the OP isn't asking if he can connect the bathroom lights to the same circuit as the bathroom receptacles; he's asking if he can connect the bathroom lights to the load side of the bathroom GFCI.

I haven't seen any NEC requirements about this one way or the other; however, I have heard of Inspectors requiring the lights to NOT be connected to the load side of the GFCI. The reasoning was that you don't want people to be left in the dark if the GFCI trips. I never found out if it was a local amendment or just the Inspector saying, "I want it this way and I'm not approving the installation until you do what I say." Regardless, I think it's good practice to avoid connecting the lights to the load side of the GFCI.

growler

Regardless, I think it's good practice to avoid connecting the lights to the load side of the GFCI.

What about a metal bar light that's mounted above the mirror where anyone ( of normal height )could easily stick their finger in a socket when changing lamps (people don't like to change lamps in the dark).

I thought the idea was to protect idiots from themselves.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the op needs to give more info. Is the light on the bathroom recep. cir.? Does it feed nothing else?

Also there is nothing in the NEC that stops one from installing a light on the load side of a gfci. Some shower lights req. gfci protection but these are manufacturers requirements not NEC.

NYC may have a code on it.... I believe some areas require the switch for a bathroom light to be outside the bathroom.... so who knows but not an NEC issue

darekelec

I have a 1 bathroom on single 20 amp circuit. Main question is if I can connect lights to load side gfci receptacle in the same bath.

raider1

Staff member
I have a 1 bathroom on single 20 amp circuit. Main question is if I can connect lights to load side gfci receptacle in the same bath.

From a strict NEC standpoint you can install the light on the loadside of the GFCI. I am not sure if there is a NYC amendment that would prohibit it.

Chris

480sparky

I think you may have misread the question. If I understand correctly, the OP isn't asking if he can connect the bathroom lights to the same circuit as the bathroom receptacles; he's asking if he can connect the bathroom lights to the load side of the bathroom GFCI.............

Well, the load side of the bathroom GFCI should be on a 20a bath circuit, correct? And would that not involve the code reference I quoted?

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well, the load side of the bathroom GFCI should be on a 20a bath circuit, correct? And would that not involve the code reference I quoted?
Of course it involves the code reference you quoted; I never meant to suggest otherwise. I was just pointing out that his question was about connecting to line side vs. load side of the GFCI, not about connecting to the 20A bathroom circuit in general. I apologize if my earlier post was worded in an offensive manner; it was not intended to be.

480sparky

Of course it involves the code reference you quoted; I never meant to suggest otherwise. I was just pointing out that his question was about connecting to line side vs. load side of the GFCI, not about connecting to the 20A bathroom circuit in general. I apologize if my earlier post was worded in an offensive manner; it was not intended to be.

I was never offended. If you want to offend me, you're gonna have to try a whole lot harder than that! :lol:

darekelec

I did my research and conclusion is it is not prohibited by NEC to have lights in same bath connected to load side of gfci when same bath is supplied by individual 20 amp circuit.
In my area inspectors like to have it on load side and in other areas they like to have it on line side.
Load side reasoning is for increased protection to shock.
Line side reasoning is for not leaving a person in dark bathroom.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I did my research and conclusion is it is not prohibited by NEC to have lights in same bath connected to load side of gfci when same bath is supplied by individual 20 amp circuit.
In my area inspectors like to have it on load side and in other areas they like to have it on line side.
Load side reasoning is for increased protection to shock.
Line side reasoning is for not leaving a person in dark bathroom.

A good inspector should apply the code as written and not based on what he thinks is a good idea. :)

iwire

Staff member
I remember a code that did not allow to connect lights in bath to load side of gfci. I cannot find it now. Was it there or the heatweave in nyc doesn't let me think clearly?

Any chance you are from MA at some time?

MA has an amendment to that effect more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.