Lights

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have 60A breaker in Emergency Panelboard that feeds fire alarm, corridor light and jts fused disconnect. It is very old building.

The feeder cable size is 4#4 + 10 awg ground.

My concern is what is the maximum size breaker can the light circuit be fed from? I don't see it in NEC 2017

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have 60A breaker in Emergency Panelboard that feeds fire alarm, corridor light and jts fused disconnect. It is very old building.

The feeder cable size is 4#4 + 10 awg ground.

My concern is what is the maximum size breaker can the light circuit be fed from? I don't see it in NEC 2017
The breaker is there to protect the wiring. So the maximum rating of the breaker is determined by the conductor ampacity.

that is not the end of it though. many devices have a maximum BC OCPD rating as part of their UL listing that has to be abided by.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The breaker is there to protect the wiring. So the maximum rating of the breaker is determined by the conductor ampacity.

that is not the end of it though. many devices have a maximum BC OCPD rating as part of their UL listing that has to be abided by.

So their is no max breaker-size to fed indoor corridor lights in the NEC?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
So their is no max breaker-size to fed indoor corridor lights in the NEC?
You would need to get the instructions for the lights and see what they require. I would guess normal 120 VAC lighting would have a 20 Amp max OCPD rating but it is not the kind of thing the code actually specifies.

In any case, if it is already there why is anyone messing with it?