Likely to become energized

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

What does the term ?likely to become energized? mean? To me it means electrical enclosures, conductive material that interfaces with electricity. A local inspector is telling me that a stainless steel counter in a restaurant kitchen that will have portable plug-in appliances on the counter needs to be bonded per 250.4(A)(4). Do I need to buy him donuts or what?

iwire

Staff member
What does the term ?likely to become energized? mean? To me it means electrical enclosures, conductive material that interfaces with electricity. A local inspector is telling me that a stainless steel counter in a restaurant kitchen that will have portable plug-in appliances on the counter needs to be bonded per 250.4(A)(4). Do I need to buy him donuts or what?

I see it as you do, would he say the file cabinet next to me with a lamp on it is 'likely to become energized'?

nakulak

unfortunately it's another term in the NEC that is completely subject to an inspector's interpretation.

raider1

Staff member
First off 250.4 is a performance requirement not a prescriptive requirement.

Read the first paragraph of 250.4

The following general requirements identify what grounding and bonding of electrical systems are required to accomplish. The prescriptive methods contained in Article 250 shall be followed to comply with the performance requirements of this section.

So 250.4(A)(4) gives us the purpose for the rest of Article 250 but the requirement itself is not prescriptive. IMHO the inspector needs to cite a specific requirement in Article 250 to require that a stainless steel counter needs to be bonded to the electrical system.

JMHO,

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does the stainless steel counter include a stainless steel backsplash that is tall enough that the receptacle outlets serving the counter are within the backsplash area? If not, plugging a cord into a receptacle and setting the appliance on the counter is not "likely" to cause the countertop to become energized. Even if it did, the required GFCI for the countertop receptacles will provide adequate protection.

No, but you can buy him a Dounce's hat or donkey's ears! Charlie got the answer as (almost) always.....

fishin' electrician

I've always hated this term.

The only things likely to become energized are the things we intentionally energize.

Main Entry: 1like?ly
Pronunciation: \ˈlī-klē\
Function: adjective
Inflected Form(s): like?li?er; like?li?est
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gelīclic fitting (from gelīc like) and Old Norse glīkligr, līkligr, from glīkr like; akin to Old English gelīc
Date: 14th century
1 : having a high probability of occurring or being true : very probable <rain is likely today>
2 : apparently qualified : suitable <a likely place>
3 : reliable, credible <a likely enough story>
4 : promising <a likely candidate>
5 : attractive <a likely child>

Jim W in Tampa

I don't agree with him but i can see how a non gfi protected 208 appliance with bad cord COULD do it. Not sure how you can fight this one.
Ask him we need to bond our kitchen sinks and bathtubs

220/221

Ahhh....Likely to become energized.

One of my favorite code terms.

The idiots that agreed to that language shouldn't be writing code.

iMuse97

As I read, I'm getting closer and closer to a belly laugh. Here are all these intelligent people discussing the likelihood of something that is deemed "likely to become energized" when, in fact, if it were likely to become energized, commercial kitchens would be very dangerous places indeed.

It seems that the most reasonable assumption is that SS kitchen equipment is "very unlikely to become energized."

Get that inspector a very big box of donuts!

ivsenroute

I am not in agreement with his interpretation. This is the same as an inspector requiring the black gas pipe to be bonded with #4 Cu in a house with a 200A service. The bonding is adquate through the appliances that are connected to both gas and electricity.

My statement above does not take into consideration the manufacturer requirement for CSST bonding which is another subject completely.

electricmanscott

First off, "likely to become energized" implies that it WILL become energized. Unless you have a crystal ball this is totally unenforceable code language.

The counter is not required to be bonded anyway. Nor is gas piping, metal ductwork etc.

pfalcon

The doors on industrial control panels are only required to be bonded when they have electrical devices mounted on them.

So by example they must not be likely to be energized.

I could see where bonding would be required if there are electrical devices mounted to the counter. That would be in keeping with the example set by industrial control panel doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.