Limited Combustible Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnj

I heard that the NEC is going to add a new requirement to either the 2005 or 2008 code that will require a new type cable for use in plenum ceilings. The new cable, "CMP-50 cable" is insulated and jacketed with (FEP) Fluorinated Ethylene Propylene. It replaces flame retarded PVC as the jacketing material. I heard that it's also ten times more expensive then existing cables. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Limited Combustible Cable

I vaguely remember something about it. It's for use in fire and other life safety systems to provide a longer "survivability" during fires.

Flame retardent PVC may not give off a lot of smoke or support combustion but it melts just as quickly as non-plenum making it useless if it runs through a burning space.

-Hal

ron

Re: Limited Combustible Cable

I have not heard about it getting in the code in that fashion. I do know that if you have a concealed space (as defined by NFPA 13 not 70) such as above a suspended ceiling or below a raised floor, and it is partially or wholly enclosed by combustible material, and you don't want to sprinkle it, you must use a cable with a flame spread rating of 25 or less. The UL test for limited combustible cable, establishes that the cable has such a test result. See the link to UL below.
Many suspended ceilings and raised floor areas are not considered wholly or partially enclosed by combustible material, so generally plenum rated cable is acceptable, if the ceiling is used as HVAC transport, etc. Combustible material in many references is defined as a flame spread rating of greater than 25. There are other criteria, but that seems to be the basic one.
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=OWKZ.GuideInfo&ccnshorttitle=Limited+Combustible+Cable&objid=1075772483&cfgid=1073741824&version=versio nless&parent_id=1075772482&sequence=1

Status
Not open for further replies.