limited energy splice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the wiring conection to a alarm contact in a window have to be accessable,(new home). To give more details we installed the contacts with the 12 inch leads on it and made the splice at the end of the leads with the proper aproved conectors. The conection would end up behind the drywall and if you removed the contacts from the window the conection would probaly not make it through the small hole drilled for the contact. I would consider the conection not accessable. Is that acceptable to the NEC code?

Limited energy splice

Limited energy splice

I am looking in the code book article to back up my claim that burglar alarm in a residence you don,t have to make splices accesible in window contacts. The inspector of Marion County Florida is holding the job up and claiming that all splices must be accesible, even the alarm window contacts.

iwire

Staff member
It is usually supposed to work the other way around.

The inspector should provide a code reference to you that they believe you are violating.

As I see it for line voltage installations 300.15 requires a box where terminations are made.

Then 314.29 requires the box to be accessible.

However the above does not apply to class two wiring per 725.52.

The Forum Worked

The Forum Worked

I posted a question in ths forum to solve a code question. The answers that I recived were brought to the Cheif inspector of Marion county, After further review they had reversed their decission and even apoligised for the mis inturpation of the code article they were applying. Thanks, I couldn't be happier for this forum and the problem that it solved.
Perry Vogler / Master Electrician, Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.