line and load together?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Just want to be sure that line and load conductors can be run in the same raceway to a disconnect for solar. Of course fill is good and all will have 600 volt ins. This is for AC power feeding an out building. Have no idea where to look in code book.

Also if you switch from EMT to PVC is all that is required is to use a bond bushing on the EMT side?

Thanks

my_mail_hub

As long as you aren't overfilling the raceway, it is fine.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I retract my previous statement. If you created a service with this solar panel and you have line wires passing through the raceway, ahead of your over current protection, you load side wiring has to be in a different raceway.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I retract my previous statement. If you created a service with this solar panel and you have line wires passing through the raceway, ahead of your over current protection, you load side wiring has to be in a different raceway.

Well, that's not at all a full retraction. It is only a conditional retraction. :D

my_mail_hub

Well, that's not at all a full retraction. It is only a conditional retraction. :D

Generally on a branch circuit, you can put the line and load in the same raceway. I forgot about the service. You can't create any possibility to let power get down line without over current protection.

As for bonding bushings, if you use all pvc pipe and pvc boxes, you shouldn't need bonding bushings. Anything over 100amps should have at least a pvc screw on bushing, if you use emt. If you use flexible metal conduit, liquid tite, or boxes with concentric knockouts, you need bonding bushings.

This disconnect is between the breaker at the panel in the house and the main breaker in the sub panel in the out building.

The other question is if you switch from EMT to PVC do you bond the EMT with a bond bushing?

Any code sections would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This disconnect is between the breaker at the panel in the house and the main breaker in the sub panel in the out building.

The other question is if you switch from EMT to PVC do you bond the EMT with a bond bushing?

Any code sections would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Permitted as long as all conductors are after the service disconnecting means.

Under 250, a wrench tight standard EMT connector to grounded metallic enclosure or j-box on one end is all you need.

It'd be quite rare for there to be a section of EMT with PVC to both sides. Recommend you just don't do it!

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There's nothing wrong with running line and load in the same raceway. No code section to cite, if it is not prohibited then it is allowed. If there is a neutral in your circuit some inspectors would require you to loop it through the disco based on 300.20, but physics doesn't require that per se.

You need to bond the EMT yes. A bonding bushing is one way to do that, probably the most straightforward.

There's nothing wrong with running line and load in the same raceway. No code section to cite, if it is not prohibited then it is allowed. If there is a neutral in your circuit some inspectors would require you to loop it through the disco based on 300.20, but physics doesn't require that per se.

You need to bond the EMT yes. A bonding bushing is one way to do that, probably the most straightforward.

Thanks to everyone. I guess I wasn't thinking clear on the bonding not realizing that one end would bonded by the EMT conn.

Status
Not open for further replies.