Line Side and Load Side Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to locate the code reference that tells me I can't put line side conductors in the same raceway/wireway (read gutter) as the load side conductors.

HELP!!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Line Side and Load Side Conductors

Are these service entrance conductors? 230.7 would prohibit them in the same raceway. Feeder and/or branch circuit conductors can be in the same raceway.

[ May 05, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

Thanks....I knew it was in there, but I couldn't remember where. I kept looking in 300.

Thanks again.

mc5w

There are also a lot of Public Utility Commission and electrical utility regulations that prohibit having metered and unmetered conductors in the same raceway, wireway, or cable.

Since a meter switch that is ahead of a metering and a service switch is not itself a service switch then you could have line and load conductors in the same nipple. In fact, this would be a good way to distinguish a meter switch from a service switch. There are some states such a Nebraska that require that 480 volts and 600 volts be shut off before changing meters or servicing current transformers and so forth. Also, on high capacity 120Y208 volts you also need a meter switch with current limiting fuses such as with urban seconadry networks. The jaw spacing in meter sockets is just not adequate for 480 volts or high short circuit capacity 120Y208 volts.

There have been some instances, particularly on 480 volts where a powere supply in an electronic meter has exploded when energized. There are some proposed new meter forms with 1 or 2 extra prongs so that the meter power supply can be on a separate 120 volt power source, such as an extra voltage transformer.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Our POCO prohibits "meter loops". This has to be a POCO rule as the meter line and load are both unfused conductors so not subject to 230.7

charlie

I have never heard of meter loops but we have the same rules. We even go so far as to require that line and load do not cross except in self contained meter fittings. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.