Line side connection at Cutler Hammer 1MM412R meter pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giark

Does anyone have experience making a line side connection in a 1MM412R meter pack. I need to create a 30A tap. The (E) main breaker is 100. I have looked at the buss with the utility and discussed it with an ETL rep. All agree it is feasible but would sure like to talk with someone who as done this successfully. Thanks

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I've always looked at this sort of equipment as not feasible for such a thing.

Are you looking to tap between one of the existing meters and its breaker? Or are you looking to add a meter?

If the former, my solution for this situation has been to add a 125A subpanel next to the equipment, and re-route the existing feeder to it. Install your solar in the sub. Seems a lot simpler than talking to a utility. :cool: Doesn't work so well for a 200A service but for your numbers it does.

Zee

Only experience was years ago...when solar was new...we just tapped into busbars with any lugs that fit.....but it won't past muster now.

My experience is when i call a manufacturer of equipment they allow no taps...and we are required to not violate the mfctr product listing.

I now often recommend a new service, in such cases. Sounds like they may need one anyways for other reasons. (no room, no breaker space, low amps)
Not cheap, but can apply 30% tax credit.

OPTION 2
That said...why not replace 100amp main breaker with a 90A one, leave the 100amp breaker with customer ;), and you are golden with a simple $10, 2p30A breaker for PV.
(located opposite feed on busbar of course)
(90+30=120A = 120% of 100A panel rating)

Carultch

Does anyone have experience making a line side connection in a 1MM412R meter pack. I need to create a 30A tap. The (E) main breaker is 100. I have looked at the buss with the utility and discussed it with an ETL rep. All agree it is feasible but would sure like to talk with someone who as done this successfully. Thanks

Be careful with this, because some utilities might prohibit you from making taps within the service meter enclosure.

A way to do it that is easier to get past the utility, is to use insulation piercing connectors on the service conductors, once you are in the main distribution panelboard.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
OPTION 2
That said...why not replace 100amp main breaker with a 90A one, leave the 100amp breaker with customer ;), and you are golden with a simple $10, 2p30A breaker for PV.
(located opposite feed on busbar of course)
(90+30=120A = 120% of 100A panel rating)

Or another option might be to do a load side tap, perhaps in combination with downsizing the main. It depends a bit on the feeder and how your AHJ interprets the 120% rule. But say, as an example, the feeder is #2 Cu rated 125A. Downsize the main to a 90A breaker and the total of both sources doesn't exceed the ampacity of the feeder. Or, say its #4 rated 95A, but your AHJ lets you load that conductor to 120%. (That's what the 2011 code actually says. Not the 2014 code though.) 95A*120%= 114A. Meaning if you downsize the main to an 80A breaker you can have your 30A of solar.

Status
Not open for further replies.