Line volt t stat for switch loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 240v heater with power to the heater and a 2 wire switch loop to the thermostat. Is there a digital/programmable t stat that will work with this setup? I'm looking at this one:

But I'm a bit confused. They have one that says DP (not the link) and one that says SP (the linked one). But the SP appears to still have 4 wires. I thought it was probably just the wrong photo, but I looked at the manual and it appears to still use 4 wires. I assume it still needs 240 volts to run the electronics and can't be used for a 2 wire switch loop. Is this correct? Anyone know of one that will work? I know the regular mechanical ones will work but I'm ssuming client wants something higher end.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It could be that the DP opens both poles during operation, and the SP opens only one.

With two wires in your loop, you'd only use two wires anyway; make sure you use the correct two.

synchro

Occupation
EE
This one appears that it should work in a 2-wire switch loop based on the user manual. It won't work if the heater has a fan in it..

Last edited:
Thanks. This heater does have a fan.

It appears this is a two wire programmable line voltage. Doesn't appear to need batteries either.

Honeywell RLV4305A1000/E 5-2 Day Programmable TRIAC Line Volt Thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.