Line Voltage and Low Voltage in Same Conduit/Junction Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-1Sparky

I'm trying to determine whether a 120 volt circuit sharing the same conduit and junction box as an RG11 coax and a fiber cable is code-compliant. My gut says no. I'm also unsure about classification (1,2, or 3) for coax and fiber. Do they fall under this classification system, or are they their own class? Thanks in advance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The fiber would not have a class like found in Article 725. You need to look at Article 770 for the fiber, but it is not likely that it would be a code issue to install it with the power. You need to look at what the coax is doing to find what article may apply. It is possible that the coax would be covered by Article 725, but not likely.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does voltage rating of insulation come into play, e.g. the 120V cable will be 600V, is the coax 300V?
Not really. The rule in 300.3(B) does not require that all of the insulation have the same rating. It only requires that all of the insulation have a rating equal to or greater than the highest voltage on any conductor in the raceway.

A-1Sparky

Not really. The rule in 300.3(B) does not require that all of the insulation have the same rating. It only requires that all of the insulation have a rating equal to or greater than the highest voltage on any conductor in the raceway.

I'm assuming that the fiber would be exempt from this requirement, as it doesn't contain a "conductor."

A-1Sparky

Thanks for the initial reply...I found 770.110 (B)(2) which allows fiber and line voltage in the same conduit as long as fill requirements are maintained.

Status
Not open for further replies.