line voltage rope lighting heat issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMuse97

I've installed some line voltage rope lighting (120v) on a decorative crown-moulding type of ledge and now the decorator wants me to put it up against the wall which is papered.

The top of the ledge is flat (about 6" wide) and I put the rope 1" from the wall. Now the "decorator" wants me to put it against the wall, which is papered. Just being cautious, I had maintained a space away from that papered wall. Do any of you have any actual experience with installing rope light on/against a papered wall? Is it OK? not OK? ill-advised?

Just what is the heat build-up on this stuff anyway? I have seen older stuff that has actually deteriorated because of heat issues, as I recall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I've installed some line voltage rope lighting (120v) on a decorative crown-moulding type of ledge and now the decorator wants me to put it up against the wall which is papered.

The top of the ledge is flat (about 6" wide) and I put the rope 1" from the wall. Now the "decorator" wants me to put it against the wall, which is papered. Just being cautious, I had maintained a space away from that papered wall. Do any of you have any actual experience with installing rope light on/against a papered wall? Is it OK? not OK? ill-advised?

Just what is the heat build-up on this stuff anyway? I have seen older stuff that has actually deteriorated because of heat issues, as I recall.

The line voltage rope lighting that I use is rated about 6 watts / foot. IMO, this is nothing to worry about. They make a nice back for the rope so that you can snap the rope right into the channel. I have done this often in the past.

iMuse97

thanks Dennis. Good to see you "up and about." I forgot about that channel mounting system for rope light, because for years I worked for a really cheap (I mean profitable) boss, and we would never have used such a sophisticated set up. ;) I'll check the rating on this stuff when I get there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Paper ignites at 451F (as in farenheit 451), and that's when not adhered to drywall. I doubt your rope approaches that.

mcclary's electrical

Paper ignites at 451F (as in farenheit 451), and that's when not adhered to drywall. I doubt your rope approaches that.

Call me careless,,,,,but I've installed rope lighting on top of countless cabinets against the wall and have never thought twice about it. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or bad. I assumed it was rated to do that. The clips maintain air space automatically. That ropes stays pretty cool. I hope somebody's paying for all these "re-installs".

wireguru

didnt UL effectively put an end to this type of rope light? Or does this have factory terminations on it?

Power Tech

Don't sweat it. I have installed 1000's of feet of this stuff.

Under railings on decks, gazebos, in trees over 100' for Christmas.

I have never had 1 problem except it burning out in sections.

I was thinking of running some in the truck for the bin lights.

iMuse97

Don't sweat it. I have installed 1000's of feet of this stuff.

That's the thing: I've installed quite a bit of it, too, back in the day, but I've never done it against wall paper.
Anyway, I went to the job, powered it up, did some other things to let it warm to operating temperature, and
found that I'm not worried about it, either. It did not feel hot to the touch, just fairly warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.