Line voltage thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Can a line voltage wall thermostat used to control baseboard heat work for controlling an in line circulating pump on a hot water heat system?

Thanks

JFletcher

Can a line voltage wall thermostat used to control baseboard heat work for controlling an in line circulating pump on a hot water heat system?

Thanks

I dont see how since the bb heat thermostat is on/off based on setpoint (usually 50-85*F) and ambient air temp. Water heater recirc pump would need a thermocouple in the pipe, not the air, and would run much warmer.

by what parameter(s) are you trying to control the pump? Most recirc pumps Ive seen in commercial run constantly.

nizak

When stat calls for heat, pump starts and circulates water through in floor tubing. When room achieves set temp, pump shuts off.

Remote outside wood fired boiler provides heated water to garage.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
When stat calls for heat, pump starts and circulates water through in floor tubing. When room achieves set temp, pump shuts off.

Remote outside wood fired boiler provides heated water to garage.

The end user is probably going to benefit significantly with some kind of smart thermostat IMO, but what you are proposing will work.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Don't see why that would not work. I suppose you have a the safety controls installed in event the boiler exceeds its parameters?

nizak

I did the electrical for the new home. The HO installed the in floor heat tubes and remote boiler ,and was told by the mechanical guy helping him that he needed a thermostat to control the circulating pump?

That's what I know about the whole project.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did the electrical for the new home. The HO installed the in floor heat tubes and remote boiler ,and was told by the mechanical guy helping him that he needed a thermostat to control the circulating pump?

No reason it won't work

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I doubt you can run the motor power directly through the T-Stat though, they are not rated for inductive loads. Have the T-Stat turn on a contactor that is rated for the motor load. In that case, any T-Stat would work, it would not need to be line voltage, unless you want to use a 120V coil on the relay/contactor.

mwm1752

If you are using a BB thermostat for control there is a good possibility the floor gets extremely hot (not comfortable feeling) -- that is why floor heat has sensor bulbs -- maybe turn the water temp down

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor

Generally they use a TACO valve , circulation pump , Aquistat .... and standard 24v thermostat.

You can get a TACO control that is 24v and controls the circulation pump. However as I said before you need some safety thing to protect the boiler from overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.