LIst of Items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Friend of mine called to say someone needed small amount of work.

12 Recessed cans, Sheet rock up. Attic. ( They already bought cans and LED trims). Would have to be on knees in attic for most of job. Because they bought Bar type New work cans not Old work style, Anyway attic way very accessible. Just crouching.

Add 3 Switchs/ Dimmers (they supply dimmers for 12 cans, 3 different rooms to total the 12 cans)

Probably will have to REwire the Receptalces, Because Rooms have switch receptacle. Need to convert for switch to have Neutral now.

Also, They want a Gable type fan installed ( they supply)

All to code, I don't skimp.

What do you think I should charge.? I tell u what happened after. I hear some realistic numbers. I'm a licensed contractor with 2 vans and 10 mil ins, and balloon policies . Besides all the other office overhead. East coast NY/NJ/PA

mgookin

12 Recessed cans, Sheet rock up. Attic. ( They already bought cans and LED trims). Would have to be on knees in attic for most of job. Because they bought Bar type New work cans not Old work style, Anyway attic way very accessible. Just crouching.

Add 3 Switchs/ Dimmers (they supply dimmers for 12 cans, 3 different rooms to total the 12 cans)

Probably will have to REwire the Receptalces, Because Rooms have switch receptacle. Need to convert for switch to have Neutral now.

What do you think I should charge.? I tell u what happened after. I hear some realistic numbers. I'm a licensed contractor with 2 vans and 10 mil ins, and balloon policies . Besides all the other office overhead. East coast NY/NJ/PA

I'm going to guess you quoted them $1k and they said some unlicensed kid will do it for $200.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You probably know how much labor and materials you will have to supply and how busy you are. I doubt anyone here is better qualified to tell you what to charge then you are.

Personally, I hate the penny ante jobs like this we get where someone else is supplying parts and they leave the crap to us to do at bare minimum cost.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I'm at $1500-1700, because I can't see what they've got. Easier to go down than up.

John120/240

I'm at $1500-1700, because I can't see what they've got. Easier to go down than up.

I'm with Chamuit. Tell the Penny Pincher homeowner to return the new work cans & buy old work cut in cans. When the homeowner supplys material often time they get the wrong stuff. Since you are cut off on material mark up increase your price some more.

JFletcher

Labor goes up because of the new work cans, or NW cans go back... how much junk in the attic? Blown/lay-in insulation? Flooring in attic that has to be removed?

Dimmers/3-ways: going in existing boxes or cut in? Do you have to replace any of the existing boxes with +1 gang more?

No idea on the gable fan, never installed one - is there an existing vent that is being taken out/fan installed or are you having to start from scratch? How high up?

Only you have all these answers. I'm guesstimating $1350 on labor.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Labor goes up because of the new work cans, or NW cans go back... how much junk in the attic? Blown/lay-in insulation? Flooring in attic that has to be removed?

Dimmers/3-ways: going in existing boxes or cut in? Do you have to replace any of the existing boxes with +1 gang more?

No idea on the gable fan, never installed one - is there an existing vent that is being taken out/fan installed or are you having to start from scratch? How high up?

Only you have all these answers. I'm guesstimating $1350 on labor.

Gable fan u attached basically right over your Wall Attic Louvers to extract air out. But still need to find the power source, Disconnect switch, Mount, Its all those pain in ass trips to truck that stink. Going down 3 stories and realize u forget something stupid, Notice how the littlest job take like 100 parts/tools etc.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Was at $1500.00 Guy came there after hours with 2 kids and did for about 800

Was that legal in your state? In Michigan anyone doing electrical work has to be either a licensed journeyman or a registered apprentice.

If not, what you offered for $1500 was not the same as what they got for $800. What if one of those kids got seriously injured on the job? Do you think the homeowner would be off the litigation dinner plate if that happened?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Was at $1500.00 Guy came there after hours with 2 kids and did for about 800

not real surprising. there are a lot of guys that want to do labor only projects because it cuts down their overhead to have someone else supplying parts. plus, they may well be fudging their taxes and the less stuff you buy the easier that is.

chris1971

Don't charge to much. Don't sell yourself short. You'll do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.