Listed Equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugeatersmn

Occupation
Electrician
Journeyman electrician for 8 years now, I'm in the process of helping a Bible camp plan for an addition of some new dwellings. They were going to run a 200 amp, 120/208 feeder to a main panel, then have breakers for the individual cabins on that panel using 2 of the 3 phases for each cabin. I told them they could save the cost of that panel by having a junction box and just tap off of the feeder in there and feed individual disconnects within the NEC tap rules. A setup which I'm willing to donate and prep. I was able to get a large type 4 enclosure as well as distribution blocks (all brand new components) for less than $400. The director is telling me that the inspector told the electrician who pulls their permits and oversees the projects, that the enclosure won't be UL listed for that purpose. The components are listed, but the assembly won't be. This isn't a control cabinet or a new piece of equipment, it's just a big junction box. Insulated multiport taps would be 100% legal, but not listed distribution blocks? Any inspectors out there able to weigh in on this? Thanks.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Does this tap box contain service conductors?
I would prefer the 200 panel with feeder breakers for each cabin
And please use conduit for the UG feeders. I have seen lost legs on UG direct bury feeders at two different camps

Bugeatersmn

Occupation
Electrician
And please use conduit for the UG feeders. I have seen lost legs on UG direct bury feeders at two different camps
No service equipment or conductors. It's protected by a breaker at the service. The feeder will be in conduit that's getting bored in because it crosses a creek.

norcal

And please use conduit for the UG feeders
. I have seen lost legs on UG direct bury feeders at two different camps

Certainly easier to service in the future, nothing to be gained by going cheap/stingy at the beginning, always bites you in the butt later.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you saying that the inspector is rejecting a junction box used for the purpose of tapping a feeder?

Bugeatersmn

Occupation
Electrician
Certainly easier to service in the future, nothing to be gained by going cheap/stingy at the beginning, always bites you in the butt later.
Cheap price, not cheap material. I got a listed NEMA 4,12 30x36x12 enclosure brand new for $125. Brand new Bussmann 16528-3 and 16528-1 (neutral) for $190. Plenty of room, much cleaner look, and yes, easier to service in the future.

Bugeatersmn

Occupation
Electrician
I’m still trying to get to the bottom of it, this is coming from the inspector, who told the electrician, who carries the permit, to the director (whose electrical knowledge is very limited), who relayed it to me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I’m still trying to get to the bottom of it, this is coming from the inspector, who told the electrician, who carries the permit, to the director (whose electrical knowledge is very limited), who relayed it to me.
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night."

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night."
I heard the Beatles are getting back together...

Status
Not open for further replies.