literature for basic lighting info

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

With technology advances in lighting, as well as government restrictions (i.e. higher wattage incandescent's and halogen bulbs going away), I'm realizing how little I actually know about lighting. I need to change this to better serve the customer, whether it's residential or commercial, indoor or outside lighting.

I'm realizing that what I do know about lighting is basically what I've learned 'on-the-job', which isn't a ton in the overall scheme. I looked back through my textbooks from my apprenticeship classes, and can't find anything that describes the difference between a PAR 38 and a BR40 bulb, or a T12 and a T5 lamp, or a MH and an HPS parking lot lamp. The only thing I know about these things is what I've learned while working with them.

I would like to have some specific literature that describes the differences, what is best for different applications, as well as control methods, so that I can have an educated, informed conversation with the customer to give them the best recommendation for their application.

A prime example is a customer that bought a self-serve carwash and has had some customers complain about poor lighting. He would like to upgrade the lighting and I would like to have a better knowledge base to give him proper recommendations for the application.

Can anyone give me information on literature (books, websites, etc.) that I can smarten up with? I also would like a link to a website that outlines what the governments plan is for lighting efficiency, so that I'm not recommendation new installs of lighting that will be obsolete in a year or two.

Thanks,
Sky

John120/240

WW Grainger's catalog at one time had brief descriptions of different lamps and applications. Catalog # 403 page 567 has flourscent

lamp information. page 574 has a lamp base identification guide. Hope this helps

jcbabb

I gain a lot of info from my local lighting manufacturer representatives. As stated above the IES is a good source of information as well. You could join a local chapter and get involved in monthly meetings where they discuss the lighting industry in much detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.