Lithonia Lighting Emergency light failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

We have over 100 Lithonia Lighting Emergency lights. UL21G7 series class 1 div 2.

They are only 3 years old and they are failing. I have 27, and probably more out now. Most of the failures are the circuit boards.

They were installed by contractors during upgrades to our sewer plants.

I can't find repair parts, I'm told that they are obsolete.

Is there an aftermarket repair that will not violate the UL listing?

They will be very expensive and time consuming to replace the whole unit.

I could put a simple timer relay and a battery charger in them for about $100, but that would violate the UL.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We have over 100 Lithonia Lighting Emergency lights. UL21G7 series class 1 div 2.

They are only 3 years old and they are failing. I have 27, and probably more out now. Most of the failures are the circuit boards.

They were installed by contractors during upgrades to our sewer plants.

I can't find repair parts, I'm told that they are obsolete.

Is there an aftermarket repair that will not violate the UL listing?

They will be very expensive and time consuming to replace the whole unit.

I could put a simple timer relay and a battery charger in them for about $100, but that would violate the UL.

It looks like the UL21G7 are made by Chloride, unless this is the listing.

hockeyoligist2

Yes, that could be the listing, I got that from the instructions. I didn't have the actual # in front of me when I posted.

I found my notes. It is a Z series, Z625N. I contacted LL about six weeks ago by e-mail asking them about it being obsolete and possibly getting parts, I haven't gotten a response.

I haven't been able to find a manufacturing date on any of them. I can't see too good anymore, so I may have missed it.

I seems that most of our contractors seem to buy obsolete equipment to install. Better prices I guess?

As an example, I had some explosion proof unit heaters that died about a month after the warranty ran out. They were installed by the same contractor during the upgrade. When I contacted the manufacturer about parts, they said that they stopped making them 5 years before they were installed!

Oh well, that is what we get with the low bidder contractors! I wish I had some control over that! It ends up costing us much more in the long run!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes, that could be the listing, I got that from the instructions. I didn't have the actual # in front of me when I posted.

I found my notes. It is a Z series, Z625N. I contacted LL about six weeks ago by e-mail asking them about it being obsolete and possibly getting parts, I haven't gotten a response.

I haven't been able to find a manufacturing date on any of them. I can't see too good anymore, so I may have missed it.

I seems that most of our contractors seem to buy obsolete equipment to install. Better prices I guess?

As an example, I had some explosion proof unit heaters that died about a month after the warranty ran out. They were installed by the same contractor during the upgrade. When I contacted the manufacturer about parts, they said that they stopped making them 5 years before they were installed!

Oh well, that is what we get with the low bidder contractors! I wish I had some control over that! It ends up costing us much more in the long run!

OK, I found a spec sheet on their web site here. Looks like it's a current product. I'd give them a ring. Nothing like a voice on the other end to motivate a response.

BTW, +1 on your signature line.

hockeyoligist2

Thanks gadfly56, sorry for being so long responding! I forgot about the post because I got a call from one of my local electrical distributors.

He found the parts somewhere in never never land and they are on the way!

Thanks on the comment about: "BTW, +1 on your signature line."

It comes from first hand experience. My sister-in-law was a military wife until 1 month ago, she went through some rough times when her husband was sent away, which happened very often. He served in Germany, Afghanistan, and Iraq.

Now, he is a regular citizen after 16 years of his service, due to the downsizing of the military. His retirement was shot to.... umm, you know. He planned to retire from the military.

At least he has found another job, better pay per hour, no more crying wife and kids when he has to leave, but many years to get the same retirement benefits.

He is still young enough to build a retirement, he is only 37.

Status
Not open for further replies.