live wires in pvc pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluejay

My plumber friend used a pvc cutter to cut a 2" "white in color" water pipe as he thought, it contained 3-3/0 live wires. He knows that electric wires should be run with gray pvc. Is there a device/meter/tool that he could have clamped around the pvc pipe to let him know it wasn't water inside the white pipe?

thanks

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Bluejay,

Without going into the whole thing about wire in water piping and not in listed conduit- if you want something that will check for voltage present in a non-metallic pipe then these night work (but would never guarantee 100% accurate results) :

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Ele...trical-Testers/Fluke-VoltAlerts.htm?PID=56200

And just as a note just because it is white does not mean it is "water pipe". There is (or at least used to be) white conduit for communications use.

Last edited:

jeremysterling

That voltmeter would not have helped if the pipe was a live natural gas pipe. I try not to assume I know whats running in anything that I don't know for sure.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
My plumber friend used a pvc cutter to cut a 2" "white in color" water pipe as he thought, it contained 3-3/0 live wires. He knows that electric wires should be run with gray pvc. Is there a device/meter/tool that he could have clamped around the pvc pipe to let him know it wasn't water inside the white pipe?

thanks

Why would he cut a pipe that he did not know what it was? Or is he like the doctor that cuts off the wrong body part? :p

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Bluejay,

Without going into the whole thing about wire in water piping and not in listed conduit- if you want something that will check for voltage present in a non-metallic pipe then these night work (but would never guarantee 100% accurate results) :

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Ele...trical-Testers/Fluke-VoltAlerts.htm?PID=56200

And just as a note just because it is white does not mean it is "water pipe". There is (or at least used to be) white conduit for communications use.

And Radon.

Status
Not open for further replies.