Live Wires On Solar Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am managing a site with over 100,000 modules. During installation, we require all workers to wear insulating gloves when connecting the MC4's, but not when bolting the modules. (Panels are always live when the sun is shining, and there is no way we can have 70 people working at night) When doing combiner box connections, we require protective clothing, as well as insulating gloves.

The open circuit voltage is 110 and there are strings of 7.

I have been on sites in the past where the electrical contractor didn't even require gloves, as it would be difficult to get your hand in such a connector anyway.

Utility scale photovoltaic solar is a relatively new market. Additionally, it is the only power source that I know to be in major use that does not require movement for generation. It is therefore very difficult to de-energize the source. I am wondering if there are any specific regulations that OSHA has for solar module voltages. I know any other generation source would be considered live work, would require that permits be issued, and extensive PPE would need to be worn.

I am wondering if there is any specific OSHA regulation related to solar modules. I don't know of any companies that have more stringent regulations than what ours requires on this.

Has anyone actually dealt with this issue before?

PetrosA

I'm not sure I understand the danger here. There's no potential to ground in a solar array, right? So the only danger I can think of would be if someone handled the stripped leads from two panels in an array at the same time which doesn't seem likely (any of the panels I handled had factory connectors on them). You're also not hooking anything up under load, so arcing would be pretty unlikely if not impossible in spite of the higher voltages involved. If my thinking on this is wrong, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.