Live Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
After reading these posts by Bennie about coworkers getting injured.

One

Two

Three

I got to thinking about how I was taught from the start to work hot.

Now where I work we have a no Hot work policy, at first this seemed absurd to me, I am a electrician right?

It turns out this is not as tough as it seems, (exceptions for trouble shooting with PPE) attitudes are changing and we will shut things down or we do not do it.

Can not open a disconnect switch to check fuses without PPE and a "Hot Work" permit.

I am wondering if anyone else works like this?

goodcode

Re: Live Work

Bob, the safe work practices that your present employer has implemented are actually required by federal law in the form of OSHA standards. In subpart K of the 1926 Construction standard 1926.416(a) literally prohibits "hot work." Subpart S of the 1910 General Industry standard includes basic requirements for safe work practices. NFPA-70E is used predominantly to develop safe work practice programs.
More employers are implementing safe work practice programs every day. Its good for the employer in lower mod rates and good for employees who get to go home at the end of the day in the same condition they arrived.

iwire

Staff member

Yes, exactly, We are following OSHA requirements.

I am wondering how many others are too, or even know that they are violating OSHA standards when they open a live panel for any reason without PPE.

I know I was surprised to find out we are not supposed to be exposed to live equipment, I was taught from my first days that this was all part of the job, bolting breakers on bus bars, connecting overhead services live etc.

I am thankful that the company I work for now has us follow the rules.

Yes, sometimes this can be a pain in the rear, but we have a couple of guys with scars from burns in the past and they will tell us the burns were more painful.

Going home the same way you left should be the first thought on our minds.

jro

If you must work it hot 120v, 240v to 277v at least put on a pair of leather gloves, any thing beyond that shut it down. Tying in a residential service at least leather gloves, long sleeve cotton t-shirt, and a pair of sun-glasses

iwire

Staff member

jro,

Tying in a residential service at least leather gloves, long sleeve cotton t-shirt, and a pair of sun-glasses
I hope you are just joking around.

[ May 10, 2003, 07:20 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

jro

No I was not and notice I wrote "at least" what I mean is offer yourself some protection, but hot gloves, face shield, and cotton fire retardent overall is the key, in emergency situations,or when changing out a service you have to restore power to your customer. I have seen electricians go at it with no second thoughts as to what electricity can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.