Living space above garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I have a question regarding residential living space being located above a garage. Are there any codes that pertain to the # of outlet boxes that can be placed within a floor joist space(i.e. garage ceiling area)? The ceiling finish in the garage will be 5/8" sheetrock.There are going to be 10- 8' florescent strips for garage lighting, my thought was that it would be better to just connect NM cable directly into fixture and avoid ceiling boxes. I could caulk the penetrations before I set the fixtures to the ceiling.I know that in multi unit dwellings there are codes pertaining to what can be installed in a common wall between units, didn't know how the issue( if there is one) above a garage was addressed. Thanks much.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a question regarding residential living space being located above a garage. Are there any codes that pertain to the # of outlet boxes that can be placed within a floor joist space(i.e. garage ceiling area)? The ceiling finish in the garage will be 5/8" sheetrock.There are going to be 10- 8' florescent strips for garage lighting, my thought was that it would be better to just connect NM cable directly into fixture and avoid ceiling boxes. I could caulk the penetrations before I set the fixtures to the ceiling.I know that in multi unit dwellings there are codes pertaining to what can be installed in a common wall between units, didn't know how the issue( if there is one) above a garage was addressed. Thanks much.
The sheetrock ceiling of the garage is probably a fire-rated barrier, so be careful about penetrations toward the living space. (Don't have a floor box opposite a ceiling box, for example.)
You also need to make sure that you do not provide a path for carbon monoxide to enter the living space.
I am also concerned about running NM directly into the luminaire wiring compartment, but I cannot say for sure.

nizak

I have tried to find an IBC code section that deals specifically with this situation. Would the ceiling area fall under the same restrictions as say side walls? The thru penetrations I can deal with by using one of many approved caulks on the market, it's the number of and type of boxes(pvc, 1 HR/ 2 HR/ metallic, etc. that I'm not sure of having to use).I've got a feeling that it's going to be one of those issues where you can ask 4 different inspectors and get 4 different answers.

fmtjfw

The sheetrock ceiling of the garage is probably a fire-rated barrier, so be careful about penetrations toward the living space. (Don't have a floor box opposite a ceiling box, for example.)
You also need to make sure that you do not provide a path for carbon monoxide to enter the living space.
I am also concerned about running NM directly into the luminaire wiring compartment, but I cannot say for sure.

Unless the luminaire requires wiring to be rated higher that 90?C then NM-B is fine. (If you have somehow raided a museum and have some NM (rated for 60?C)).

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Ask the fire marshal and the supervising inspector and get their comments in writing. Fire assemblies are tricky to understand and deal with.

The ceiling is probably 5/8" sheetrock but it may be double 5/8".

mgookin

From the OP it sounds like either new construction or a remodel project because it says "finish will be...".

If the plans don't call out what that ceiling is as far as fire and/ or CO2 barrier, you need to call AHJ before you plan it out.

There can be no openings from a garage to a sleeping room - that's the CO2 rule.

And most codes in the past 5-10 years have added a requirement for a fire barrier between a garage and single family living space.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I have tried to find an IBC code section that deals specifically with this situation. Would the ceiling area fall under the same restrictions as say side walls? The thru penetrations I can deal with by using one of many approved caulks on the market, it's the number of and type of boxes(pvc, 1 HR/ 2 HR/ metallic, etc. that I'm not sure of having to use).I've got a feeling that it's going to be one of those issues where you can ask 4 different inspectors and get 4 different answers.

R302.4 Dwelling unit rated penetrations. Penetrations of wall or floor/ceiling assemblies required to be fire-resistance rated in accordance with Section R302.2 or R302.3 shall be protected in accordance with this section.

R302.5 Dwelling/garage opening/penetration protection. Openings and penetrations through the walls or ceilings separating the dwelling from the garage shall be in accordance with Sections R302.5.1 through R302.5.3.
4. At openings around vents, pipes, ducts, cables and wires at ceiling and floor level, with an approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion. The material filling this annular space shall not be required to meet the ASTM E 136 requirements.

Outlet Boxes and Fittings Classified
for Fire-Resistance (QBWY

Status
Not open for further replies.