Lo-Vo T-Stat with Line Voltage BB Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

LocoKen

Yesterday I came across a White Rodgers Dual Level-Temp Silent Operator Relay with a LO-VO T-Stat operating three baseboard heaters (1 8ft. & 1 4ft. in a living room and 1 6ft. in a dining room). The homeowner (landlord) complained that only the heater in the dining room was working but the others were not. He also said he hadn't touched anything in the wiring itself other than to tighten the wirenuts to make sure of a good connection. The HO also said that this whole installation was like it was before he bought the house and was working before. After inspecting everything, I found that the J-box that was below the Relay had two 240v. circuits running this whole operation and that the wiring appeared to be all messed up. Not having seen one of these before, I tried to figure out the correct wiring while using two circuits instead of one like the diagram on that back of the cover showed. I thought I had everything hooked up right but still only got 240v. to the dining room heater alone. My guess is that one of the switches in the relay is bad, but my experience with relays is very limited. How exactly do you test this unit to troubleshoot it and how would you use two circuits instead of one because of the total connected load being too much for one circuit alone? I've obviously never used a LO-VO T-Stat to operate line voltage heaters before, so hooking it all up to seperate line voltage t-stats looked like an option and one that would be less expensive in parts to replace. Your thoughts?

The model of the relay is this: White Rodgers 24A06G-1
Some corresponding web pages:

White Rodgers website
http://www.heatersplus.com/24a06g-1.htm

stickboy1375

Your only breaking 1 leg of each circuit... I just recently troubleshooted one of those relays and it did in fact have a sticky switch...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.