load balancing on single phase 120/240

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalelect

the neutral current question i asked got me thinking about load balancing , if i understood the neuteal issue correctly it seems to me if you have a 20 amp load on L1 and a 20 amp load on L2 you would have 0 amps on the neutral correct >?

what about load balancing in single phase 120/240 can balancing the load as best possible reduce the power bill
i ask this because the boss's are constantly whining about the power bill, heres a good example im in one of the buildings , i run out to the truck to grab a tool and dont turn the lights off they will run behind me and shut the lights off it gets a little irratating

in most of the buildings there is single phase 120/240 there is 120/208 in the main shop for the machine tools

on the single phase panels all of the lighting loads are on L1 could splitting them up between L1 and L2 help the power bill in any way ?

btw i am not the original installer . i generally prefer a stand alone panel for lighting

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
on the single phase panels all of the lighting loads are on L1 could splitting them up between L1 and L2 help the power bill in any way ?

No it won't save power. because the energized conductors get metered not the neutral.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a very very small energy savings with balanced loads on multiwire branch circuits. You reduce the I?R losses on the neutral.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There is a very very small energy savings with balanced loads on multiwire branch circuits. You reduce the I?R losses on the neutral.

Easy now, I tried the I2R energy savings argument with Rick and was lambasted for it. :D

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It's a fact. No matter how trivial, there is no argument... only [unsubstantiated] rhetoric.

I agree 100%. We deal with I2R losses totalling over $35,000 per year. It is a constant battle to stay below 6% line loss on distribution lines.
The IEEE had an article on the "economic evaluation of the residential wiring system losses". Would like to read it someday, but I don't know an engineer that is a member and can download the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.